TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
It really comes down to personal preference I like the 45 and have 1 right now with african cichlids it's more of a show tank because of it's height. I have never had a problem with aquascaping it in fact everytime I show someone a pic they want a tank like that themselves lol. There's pics in my album from when I 1st redid it I need to update that since there is like 30 more fish now but you can see the rockwork. I would definitely trust Russ he is a really good guy and he knows his stuff. I agree on the fire fish 100% he will shoot out of that tank like a bullet even if it's 100 feet high lol. I also agree on the black sand..not the best idea. I liked the black bottom look and did black glass gravel on 1 of my freshwater tanks and Kathy is telling you the truth my friend it will look like crap everything shows up more and it's just going to piss you off.

Good luck with whatever you decide I'll be looking forward to seeing the pics.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
it isnt htat t5's cant do it, i use them myself, but have a 8 bulb unit, and been using t5 for most of the hobby, yes you can keep anything under them, with enough light, good fixture, im not overly impressed with the wave point, our lfs has one on a nem tank, but the tank is also only 20" high. and that fixture runs warm to the touch. big mis-conseption on the heat from t5's compared to mh, it isnt that they put out less heat, it's a wider spread of the heat instead of a focal of the heat. you go to allstar in mogehan ? and ur getting the sand from the beach arent ya lol, guess he is finally trying to close down. seeing we are from the same town if ya ever want to stop by and take a look let me know,

wimby

C&S Miracle Makers
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Hey welcome to MR . You have seen my old 45 it's really not hard to scape. I had a 5 bulb t5 on there and all the things on the bottom did real well. I switched over to the 75 becuase I hated trying to reach the bottom of the tank. Had my arms in there to my armpits LOL You will be fine with the 45. As for roak have you looked into dry rock? Then just seed it with a couple of peices of live. It's a little better on the wallet. Good luck with your set up.

adamt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
yeah reefnoob lol i was over there talking to al at allstar today. The t5 fixture he has on that tank is kind of misleading... two of those bulbs are normal output, and hes running 3 actinics and 1 colormax full spec so it could be way brighter with a different light config. but having said that... he has carpets doing well in there, he has maxima's and other clams doing great in there, and theyre all on the floor of the tank, i think im gonna grab the ritteri he has. Its gorgeous pink green and blue, and it has been living for months doing well in a tank with a single 96 watt pc, so i think the transition for it to my set up will go well.

LOL dont buy that sand out from under me hehehe. Yeah man beach is done in a month, hes got powerheads for $5, all kinds of tanks and other ish all heavily discounted and even stuff that he has to order hes doing for 25-40 percent off. Im gonna grab some of my clean up crew from him, his sw section sucks but im sure theres some stuff to be salvaged from that place.

nyreefnoob,
heheh im stuck working at society hill rec center all day so if ur bored and u happen to live here come down and bs about reefs with me lol.

Wimby,
nah im not considering getting any lace rock atm. the zoo (a lfs that im sure reefnoob is familiar with) has a ton of premium fiji he acquired by way of some customers getting divorced, and another store thats closing has some decent pieces (although they need some tlc), and coralcruze has about 100lbs left so Im gonna cherry pick between them and hopefully find some real nice pieces.

adamt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I didn't say lace rock I said dry rock, dead live rock. Well good ya got a deal on some good stuff. Now get this tank going already LOL
heheh all the hardware is ordered ill get it going friday, gonna try to take a half a day at work so i can make some real head way on it. Im sure ill spend half the day trying to figfure out which bulbs im gonna use lol. I've been reading alot abouit zoas and i think that im gonna focus on them for the lower half of the tank since they get alot of their energy from small food particles and arent as dependant on light as some other stuff i was considering and the wide variety of colors should be fun to play with... im bummed im gonna miss the swap (grandmothers 80th bday) i was really hoping to pick up some hornets but nm i can do about it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: