• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Looking at your fish list, I would not add an achilles. I have one for at least three years now and he is at times the aggressor of my tangs. The Sohal is a very aggressive tang and IMO it would beat the crap out of an achilles if you add one now. The achilles would stress out, ick out and probably eventually die.
I don't know anyone that has had success with both but I could be wrong.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I never had a achilles yet. Looking back on the posts I think your talking about my sohal. Yes I still have the sohal but he is now in my 125 gallon sump. Not for aggression or anything. Just not sure if I wanna keep it. Easier to catch in the sumo then the main tank if I decide to get rid of him

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Looking at your fish list, I would not add an achilles. I have one for at least three years now and he is at times the aggressor of my tangs. The Sohal is a very aggressive tang and IMO it would beat the crap out of an achilles if you add one now. The achilles would stress out, ick out and probably eventually die.
I don't know anyone that has had success with both but I could be wrong.

+1..

IME an achilles doesn't do well when constantly pestered. In my 180gal I had mine in with a yellow that was smaller and constantly wanted to spar, had an Ich outbreak than ripped out all the fish and went fallow. Now the achilles is in there with a hippo and a tomini. The hippo and the Achilles went back and forth for about a week than stopped. Generally the three tangs I have ignore each other and have their own space they roam in the tank. I would avoid any fish that might directly aggregate an Achilles, really any similar Acanthurus or the larger more aggressive ones.

Overall in my experience with the Achilles, they're more hardy than people claim. As long as you cater to their needs they should be quite alright. This is just my experience though, I'm sure others may vary.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I'm still undecided. I really would like one. I might be better off with just a gold-rim/whitecheek tang. I have seen some nice colored ones. Or maybe a powder blue tang. Seem to need the same requirements

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I'm still undecided. I really would like one. I might be better off with just a gold-rim/whitecheek tang. I have seen some nice colored ones. Or maybe a powder blue tang. Seem to need the same requirements

The powder blue I have is a bit different than the Achilles.. he does fine without strong water flow. Besides that, they both are extremely active and use the entire dimensions of the tank each are in.

I would think it could be a safe assumption that white cheeks are the most similar in care to Achilles, I've read they both come from the same surge areas in Hawaii. But I have no experience with them so I can't really say for sure..

Jim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0

I have a gold rim/whitecheek tang also. He is in my frag tank though and doing quite well. I wish I could add him to my display but I'm afraid of what my Achilles would do. They are much more docile.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
@jim
If you decide you want to get rid of your gold rim/whitecheek within the next month let me know. Can pick him up as well as the caps and birdnest. Plus I get to see your tank again

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: