• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I've been doing some research on this fish. They are not hardy. Very prone to ich. Like high water flow. Very aggressive.
My question is when looking for this fish would it be better to get a smaller one or a larger possibly already established in a reef environment or it doesn't matter either way?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's probably better to get a smaller one, as there is a better chance that it will adapt better to your tank than a larger one, unless you have a very big tank, 6'+ where it will have plenty of swimming room and not have tank mates on top of it. Another issue is getting them to eat, this is where a small one maybe better, as it's willing to accept/recognize food that is different from what it would eat in the wild. More important than size is the condition of the fish, as you want one that is eating, isn't too thin, doesn't have Ich, or some other parasite, and isn't swimming ineradicably, not to mention isn't attacking the other fish in the tank.

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
My Achilles is very active. I have a 180 and think it may be to small for it. It gets a touch of ich on him every once in awhile but goes away as quick as it comes. I got him small before it got it's tear drop. It's not to aggressive with the other tangs but def puts them in place. It is around 5in now and has it's full year drop now

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I do have a decent sized tank. It's a 240 gallon but my measurements are 60x36.
I beleive I would have a problem. Haven't read about too many not being aggressive. I have a 5-6 inch purple tang, a 5 inch hippo tang, a 4 inch sohal tang.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
The sohal is already chasing fish around showing his dominance. Nothing to violent yet. I got a majestic angel 2 1/2 inches yesterday and I was surprised he totally left him alone. He also so for is ignoring a large regal angel I got the other day
I've always loved the Achilles as well as many other people. I've been to plenty of members houses and have seen them in there tanks doing great. I've always wanted to try but was never ready to take the jump. Everyone has different opinions on how easy/hard this fish is
My biggest issue would be the fish getting ich. Would be a pia to try and catch this fish in my tank if it ever came down with it and I'm pretty sure he would

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Just watch the Sohal, as it gets larger it will go from chasing the fish to killing them. In the end they usually do better with aggressive fish, like large angels, triggers and groupers.

As for the Achilles getting in, you really need to QT, and treat it, good before you place it into your tank. Finding a good specimen is very important.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Yes once the sohal gets to that point I will sell him or just give him away
As far as the Achilles like you said finding a good specimen is key. I was at max reefs the other day and they had 2 or 3. They looked really good. I started to get one but took my chance with a chevron instead. I saw finksmart had some. Pop corals just had a live sale where they had 2 availiable. And I think aquarium village had some recently.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Here is my achilles

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 324

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
C'mon samsky. We can do it. Pretty sure you been in the hobby a lot longer than me. Pretty sure there are people in the hobby a lot less than us who probably have them and are doing great. I'm almost ready I think

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Fish is gorgeous. I had my lfs hold it in their reef tank for me for a week and brought it home and put him right in. I wasn't stressing it out in a small QT. Had him about a year now. I know other guys who didn't have good expierence with them so I feel extremely lucky. I think having the cleaner wrasse is a plus for fish like him and the copperband. They sooth both fish. It's amazing watching the Achilles turning from black to white while the cleaner wrasse is pecking at him like a deep tissue massage for fish lol

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i have an achilles in with a purple and chevron tangs, a pair of pyramids, copper band and other fish. he really doesn't bother any of them. like mentioned he does have an occasional slight ich outbreak, but only him and clears up right away.
i got him black friday from max reef and eats what ever i throw in. you gotta see him rip up muscles on the half shell.
go for it.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Wow Ed wh have a bunch of the same fish. I don't have a copperband. Thought they weren't reef safe? I would like one though. Love the pyramids. I am now looking for the black ones. I also have the purple and a small chevron.
See that ich thing scares me. Someone else says there's goes and comes also

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Wow Ed wh have a bunch of the same fish. I don't have a copperband. Thought they weren't reef safe? I would like one though. Love the pyramids. I am now looking for the black ones. I also have the purple and a small chevron.
See that ich thing scares me. Someone else says there's goes and comes also

yea my pyramids are my favorite fish. as far as ich, i worry more about a hippo as my tank got wiped out when i first started by one.
i almost bought one last week from a reputable LFS, but a closer look reviled spots so wasn't taking chances as i don't QT.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I have 2 hippos. 1 is like 5 inches the other is a baby. 2 inches if that.
I don't qt either eventhough I should. That's my biggest issue with the Achilles. I would have to find a real good one

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: