D Rose

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hello, I would like to add maybe 3-5 Blue/Green Chromis to my tank for a nice schooling effect. My tank specs are below....any advice or warnings always welcome.

-90 gallon with 20 gal sump.
-Phosban reactor, Aqua-C EV 120 Skimmer, Filter sock, chemi pure in sump, HOB refugium with Chaeto and 4" DSB
-Corals: large frogspawn, xenia frag, multiple zoo's
-Livestock: 3 ocellaris clowns, 1 purple psuedo chromi, 1 purple firefish, 1 firefish, 1 6-line wrasse, 1 sleeper goby, 1 royal gramma.

Was considering getting rid of the 6-line wrasse for the school of Chromis or anoter nicer looking fairy wrasse.

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I would like to add maybe 3-5 Blue/Green Chromis to my tank for a nice schooling effect. My tank specs are below....any advice or warnings always welcome.

-90 gallon with 20 gal sump.
-Phosban reactor, Aqua-C EV 120 Skimmer, Filter sock, chemi pure in sump, HOB refugium with Chaeto and 4" DSB
-Corals: large frogspawn, xenia frag, multiple zoo's
-Livestock: 3 ocellaris clowns, 1 purple psuedo chromi, 1 purple firefish, 1 firefish, 1 6-line wrasse, 1 sleeper goby, 1 royal gramma.

Was considering getting rid of the 6-line wrasse for the school of Chromis or anoter nicer looking fairy wrasse.

Hi D Rose ;-)
Would it be possible for you to put some photographs as it would help us to help you better.
In the mean time the idea of removing the Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (6-line wrasse) is good as these fish can become quite aggressive to newcomers. The only ones left that may do the Haka dance (meaning intimidate and ocasionaly attack) the newcomers, would possible be the Pseudochromis porphyreus (purple pseudochromis) and the 3 Amphiprion ocellaris clows), but after one or two days it should be over. This said, im basing it on experience, however it is not a guarantee.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Hi D Rose ;-)
Would it be possible for you to put some photographs as it would help us to help you better.
In the mean time the idea of removing the Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (6-line wrasse) is good as these fish can become quite aggressive to newcomers. The only ones left that may do the Haka dance (meaning intimidate and ocasionaly attack) the newcomers, would possible be the Pseudochromis porphyreus (purple pseudochromis) and the 3 Amphiprion ocellaris clows), but after one or two days it should be over. This said, im basing it on experience, however it is not a guarantee.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Pedro. You Are The Man!!!
VOTE FOR PEDRO
vote-for-pedro.jpg

D Rose

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
So Chromis will fight with each other? I thought they are peaceful and school around the upper leve of the tank.....thanks for the info. Mybe I will stick wiht taking the six-line out and adding a fairy wrasse

D Rose

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
OK so then my new question I guess is this: What are some other good small reef "dither fish"? Or what is a nice looking fairy wrasse that stays small (aorund 5-7")?

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pics of my fish and tank in the link in my signature.

Hi D Rose ;-)
I did not realise that the link in question was both about your tank and related to the sentence "90 Gallon Reef" as it is displayed as the basic address lettering, so, suggestion, would you kindly consider the possibility of replacing it with this link 90 Gallon Reef which will be immediately evident?
Your rock work lay-out is beautiful and looks quite natural as found in the real live coral reef such as these photographs taken in the Red Sea recently

JACKSON-REEF-027.jpg

or this one here

M0014382.jpg

Although a possibility, Anthias form harems and are quite belligerent among them selves as due to their nature Protogynous hermaphrodite they do not form schools but as said above, they form harems and establish a very rigid hierarchy which in a closed space or reduced space, may be very problematic, so because of this the choice of the Chromis viridis might be a better one.
Another excellent choice, would "Mr/Ms peaceful" Amblygobius rainfordi, also here, and you can have more than one

Amblygobius_rainfordi_1.jpg

Another interesting addition would be an Neocirrhites armatus or Flame Hawk fish and although having the possibility to capture and eat shrimps, never saw one do that as the food offered is far more easy to get

Another interesting addition would also be the Oxycirrhites typus or Long nose Hawk fish, and although having the possibility to capture and eat shrimps, never saw one do that as the food offered is far more easy to get

Another possibility would be Apogon leptacantus, 4 of them as they like to form schools

Another excellent choice both for being very lively, very small and a good filamentous algae eater, is the Centropyge argi here and here seen in the shop tank from were I bought it some 14 months ago, and here at home playing with is long time friend (I think they are a couple and know they can produce hybrids) Centropyge acanthops which larger

Centropyge_argi_e_Centropyge_acanthops.jpg

Well...there are more possibilities so I'll leave one more that often goes not remembered, Ptereleotris zebra or the Zebra Dart Goby

So hope some of these will strike your fancy :)

.....one last thing...I don't know if you realise what you have here ... well it looks to be a vicious and voracious predator known as Ophiaracna incrassata so it may live "peacefully" for a long time, but one day it may decide to hunt...and it is very good at it. I usually recommend that this animal is placed in a tank in which the other inhabitants are far to big and tough to become prey, so if you follow this suggestion, then try to find some one with such a tank to receive it.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Last edited:

D Rose

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Pedro - thanks so much for the wealth of info. I am looking to get a blue linkia or red fromia star and would consider giving away my brittle starfish if what you say is true.

Pinkheine - So it looks like my dreams of a school of chromis is still alive, thanks for your comment.

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pedro - thanks so much for the wealth of info. I am looking to get a blue linkia or red fromia star and would consider giving away my brittle starfish if what you say is true.

Hi D Rose ;-) ...your welcome :)

Concerning the Ophiaracna incrassata if I did not mistakenly identified it, please read more about it below in this article that Anthony Calfo gave us for translation and publication

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-...ature/index.php

Antony Calfo said:
Ophiarachna incrassata, the infamous Green Brittle Star, and a few related kin are the rare exceptions to the otherwise reef-safe and well-behaved Ophiuroid serpent and brittle starfish class. In some tanks O. incrassata will behave for months or even years, while in other tanks they tend to catch and kill motile creatures whenever possible They are active predators, which arch their central disk above their legs to form a trap for fishes and other prey. A lurker pictured here.

Ophiarachna_incrassata_de_Anthony_Calfo.jpg

Cheers
Pedro Nuno ;-)

Last edited:

michael stern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
112   1   0

Pinkheine - So it looks like my dreams of a school of chromis is still alive, thanks for your comment.

Chromis, IMO, do well when added as a group.
If you later try to add more, the first group kills any new comers.

wrasseman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take Your Time And Find Real Cool Fish ,dont Be In A Hurry ! Thats The Best Advise You Can Get .YOU DONT HAVE TO SETTLE FOR A FISH TODAY GET ONR THAT WILL BE COOL FOR YEARS TO COME

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I am looking to get a blue linkia or red fromia star and would consider giving away my brittle starfish if what you say is true.

Blue linckia is not easy to keep and with the clean rocks you have, it's almost impossible to keep it.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: