Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And all this talk about longer contact time and turbulence reduction gets discredited by their findings too. I'm telling you, it's all unscientific hobbyist soap-boxing, inspired by manufacturer marketing.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":1nbzkx1y said:
sfsuphysics":1nbzkx1y said:
Also I just skimmed briefly through the article Len posted and one thing confuses me... well first the "4 different technologies" don't seem that much different from one another but in the conclusions he states

These tests revealed that there was no demonstrable difference between the Euroreef CS80 needlewheel skimmer, the Precision Marine ES100 venturi skimmer, the Precision Marine AP624 airstone skimmer, and the ETSS evolution 500 downdraft skimmer with respect to the rate constant for either TOC or BSA removal.

But in his data he shows the ER CS80 removes 56 +/- 15 % of the BSA, where as the PM Airstone removes 95 +/- 5% of the BSA which to me sounds like a huge f'ing difference, although the "rate constant" (which I still haven't grasped) is comparable, to me the data shows one skimmer removes just about everything, where as the other removes half to two thirds.

Factor in the volume of water processed. It leads to the conclusion that "bubbles are bubbles."

That might be true, but something you have to factor in is that one skimmer pulls MORE out than the other skimmer, so more bubbles is better?

And I do agree with most of the hobby about it being hype (my biggest peeve was the claims of PFO with their Solaris LED setup)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dispute more bubbles is better (just like more water processed is better). But then again, I'm just making it up as I go like everyone else ;)

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alls I am saying is I have had tanks in the past I struggled with, upgraded skimmers and things turned around. Call it bad judgement of cause/effect but IMO the right skimmer makes a huge difference. Maybe bubbles are bubbles, but mores bubbles in a chamber obviously makes more skimmate. I know you are saying that that any skimmer would reach the same point over time but if TOC are comstantly increasing, and skimmer A is pulling it out faster then skimmer B wouldnt at some point skimmer A be able to keep up with input and skimmer B wouldnt. I rarely see my BK without foam coming out on the new tank, on the 58 it did have times where it wouldnt have a foam head going. I think its just sizing, and I have much more demand in the larger tank. Maybe in the long run it will provide just as well for my larger tank but I already feel it is under performing for this tank.

When compairing price between an ASM and a Euroreef its a extruded vs. cast price difference they both use sedra pumps right? When pricing the BK min 200 ($1100)compaired to a octopus extreme 250 ($420) I don't tthhink you'd see much of a difference either way. The Oct has a larger body, two pumps instead of 1 and both are made out of cast. The BK pump runs silent, the sicce I had was quiet and under the muffle of my other stuff was unheard also. So in this case I would agree there would be no difference, the price difference is in the red dragon pump which I dont know why cost so much. I dont think all skimmers the same size work equally effective over the long run though, depending on the skimmers JME.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think the "Bubble Blaster" is a knock off of the Laguna pump, which I've heard is basically the company that makes red dragons so.... who knows.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":79or9z5u said:
Well I think the "Bubble Blaster" is a knock off of the Laguna pump, which I've heard is basically the company that makes red dragons so.... who knows.
The shape looks the same, the colors are the only thing different.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":39zjflqr said:
Yeah, they look a bit faddy to me too. Thanks for the link Mike, though I think that particular model will be a little overpowered for me. :)

I'd like to see you down stairs, please...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_Andy":2wi04e5s said:
The Escaped Ape":2wi04e5s said:
Yeah, they look a bit faddy to me too. Thanks for the link Mike, though I think that particular model will be a little overpowered for me. :)

I'd like to see you down stairs, please...
Oh piss off!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: