Diablo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Stringztoo,

I'm not going to tell you don't... that would make me (and almost any reefer I know) a hippocrite. I will however make some comments and ask some questions.

Firstly, What is more important to you, an anemone or the rest of your corals?

If your corals, I would strongly advise against an anemone. Anemones do not stay where they are placed... they will go where THEY want, stinging your other corals (potentially to death) in the process. Once settled, however, they tend to stay put.

I do not think your tank is too small for an anemone, but it is probably too small for an anemone in a mixed reef community.

If you do opt for an anemone I would strongly advise that you limit yourself to either Entacmaea quadricolor (bubble tip) or Macrodactyla doreensis (cork screw or long tentical anemone). The former prefers a rock substrate and to have it's foot under a ledge, the latter likes to have its foot burried in sand.

Do feed regularly.

Lastly, if your clown is a true A.percula, there is no guarantee that it will reside in either of the anemones mentioned... the only sure fire would be a Ritteri (magnificent), which would almost certainly die in your tank (they grow to 3 feet diameter, require intense light and high flow).

Personally, I have two BTAs (split from one) in a 55G mixed reef that do extremely well under NO lighting (they prefer the NO end of my tank to the MH end). When I purchased it, it was one of the first additions to the tank. I let it settle and have had no problems since.

HTH
Mark

P.S. If you do get one, take all care to prevent the anemone from going anywhere near a powerhead.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I think we have had reef consencious on the problems of having an anemone and the suggestions about them.
icon_smile.gif
Good luck on making your decision.

Stringztoo1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I thank you (most of you) for the insight on anemones. I'd already decided not to get one a few days ago but was just curious what more than one person thought. I mean, if one person were to give me advice and I reacted to the advice, that person might have been wrong! It is nice to see that I can have an anemone in my 37 gal reef, but not too much else. I already have a number of things in there now, and have been prepping the tank for the past 6 months so it would be a reef tank, not an anemone tank. I'd rather have 5 times the amount of coral than a single anemone to worry about. Thanks again!

(except you danmhippo)

ncosper

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple of other thoughts
icon_smile.gif

Just as Diablo said, it will probably end up the anenome on one side and corals on another, any that don't fit, will probably die. There really isn't anything that can't prevent you from being successful in a 37, as quillen states, but you will have a tank for you anenome. One other thing just to tanke into consideration is, if you can't care for it and/or you buy an unhealthy specimen anenomes can reak havoc on a new tank when they die. If it dies and is left for any amount of time at all before being removed, it will release all sorts of nasty things into your tank. Being that the tank is new and not to big that load may destroy everything. This is easily preventable, but something that surely can happen.
Last but not least on my mental notes is; if you perc is a a false percula and is a captive raised or tank raised clown, he/she may never even want an anenome. I have had 3 different false percs that won't even look twice at an anenome. Whereas my clarki basically hit the anenome as fast as he hit that water in the tank. I was in your same boat when I started on the anenome issue. They are fascanating creatures, but knowing what I know now I will not put one in any other reefs I build. Unless of course I build that 600 gal tank, then I can have one of everything...
icon_wink.gif

Stringztoo1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by danmhippo:
<STRONG>
I highly recommend against purchasing an anemone for your tank. A fully expanded anemone could've easily cover up most of your tank. Leaving all others either got stinged, or sting back in retaliation. Percula does not need to have a host to be happy. It can do fine by itself perfectly. I have seen most percula claims a home in the carpet anemone. I have 2 LTA's and I have never observe percula swimming in it. For you to get an anemone (Carpet or not) you are endangering the lives of your reef tank.

I have a feeling that even though most people speak against getting an anemone, you will still get it. As almost a week ago people speak against you keeping 2 mandarins. You ignored people's suggestion and still went on with it. BTW, if you observe closely, and sees mandarin's stomach is caved in, Then I really do feel sorry for your fishes.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks DAD, but I'm sorry... you're wrong. I'm going to break apart your attempt insult me into pieces.

1) My tank has been running for two months, yes... with livestock. It has had all the LR in it and sat under lights with nothing in it since February. I think my tank is pretty much set up. Talking like you know my tank... sad...
icon_rolleyes.gif

2) I have had my Mandarins WELL before I even found this website, much less posted on it. My Mandarins eat fine. They eat the food I feed the angel and the clown, they eat the krill I feed them directly, and they eat off the LR daily. They have large white bellies, both of them, and they are well fed. Probably, over fed in my opinion. Aggression? Give me a break. When I bought them they were already in the same tank. Don't ya think there would have been a problem there at the LFS? Well there wasn't a problem there and there isn't a problem here in my tank. They graze right past each other, no problems. They don't even both each other. Same sex, different sex, there is no aggression at all. (Strike two)

3) I don't need someone like you posting on my thread about how I'm not following your recommendations and then doing the opposite of what you "command". Sorry. The whole world doesn't revolve around you buddy. Maybe you think so out in Cali, but here in the real world, people ask for advice. If they don't follow it, Oh Well... I'm not here to be berated for having two Mandarins. I didn't even bring them up... CAUSE THEY'VE NEVER GIVEN ME PROBLEMS! Anemone. Anemone. Look at the topic. Not Mandarin. I asked for Anemone advice. Thank you everyone for all your advice about the anemone. I'll leave it up in the air for this yahoo to think about. To Danmhippo, next time you see my post, skip over it, and if you read it and are inclined to reply, just hit the BACK button. (Strike three... you're out)

icon_eek.gif

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: Stringztoo ]

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stringztoo:
<STRONG>To Danmhippo, next time you see my post, skip over it, and if you read it and are inclined to reply, just hit the BACK button</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right about that, that's exactly what I will do. I better get on with my life than wasting my time here.
icon_rolleyes.gif

BTW, funny how you put it, the way you talk does reminds me of my kid...............and he's only five.
icon_cool.gif

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: danmhippo ]

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people have different results with them, the problem being anemones that people have (most likely) access to are pulled from the sea where they would live 10 times longer (atleast, depending on your luck with them).

murrayjim

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a lot of people have had problems with anemones. I'm no expert so I must be lucky. I have a couple anemone, or is it anemoni? Anyway, my carpet anemone has been with me for over a year and has not moved an inch. It's home to a mated pair of true perculas. It has doubled in size (12"), which has forced me to relocate a couple SPS corals. But other then that, no problems.

100 gallon, 2x250 HM 6500K and 2 60" VHO's

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: