Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
goldenboy":2g9zu4tg said:
Yeah, I have a captive split rose bta that doesn't have bulb tips either, but otherwise looks very healthy. He is actually hot pink but was sold as a rose. I am not sure if that would still be considered a rose or not.

oh yeah, and FWIW he planted himself firmly to the rocks the second day I had him and in the four months that I have had him he has not moved an inch.

You can see mine shortly after I got him in these pics:
http://reef.myip.org/6.20.01/rose/

Now he's looking much better. Sorry for the crappy pic, but it's recent.
http://reef.myip.org/7.12.02/Rose.JPG

This one OTOH was quite a PIA... Kept going walkabout the first 9 months I had him. 3 months after I got him the sucker split, and I had two monster's roaming about my tank killing things. Fortunately it wasn't hard getting rid of the clone ;)

I couldn't believe it the one day I came home and saw this big, white, wrinkly thing on the top left corner of the front glass... It was the damned anemone! Friggin thing ended up there three times. I actually stopped pestering it the third time, and it ended up walking around the left side of my tank and settling in his current home... where he's been for about a year now. I knew he walked across the left side of the tank, because EVERYTHING on that side was sliming really bad, and ended up dying a few days later. Bastard cost me a couple hundred dollars in SPS! Fortunately, if this market holds, I'll be able to make it all up again in a few months when this puppy goes again!

- Mac

goldenboy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really nice rose you got there Mac. Mine has absolutely no red pigment at all. It is the brightest pink I have ever seen in an anemone, coral or any other invert.

npaden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very concerned about adding an anenome to my tank as well both because of the possibility of them harming other things in the tank as well as the fact that they are difficult to keep.

I did some research and decided that I would try a LTA and a Sebae as both like the area where the sand meets the rocks and are not known for moving once they have a good spot that they like. They do both get big however, but I had a couple spots in my tank that would be ideal for each of them at opposite ends of the tank. The LTA's have a reputation of being easier to keep than the sebaes and they also tend to arrive in better health as most sebaes have lost most of their zooxanthae for some reason by the time they arrive to your LFS.

I would not recommend an anenome to someone with less than 2 years experience in keeping a reef tank and only then if they do extensive research on their care requirements.

Here are pics of my 2 anenomes and where they are placed in my tank. I added both about 3 months ago and they haven't moved since the day I placed them in the tank. I tried to provide locations that they would both like from the start and evidently they have liked them enough to stay so far.

far_left_side_8-17-02.jpg

far_right_8-17-02.jpg

FWIW, Nathan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: