A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":3mxz9tbk said:
JohnHenry":3mxz9tbk said:
I use an osmolator, run through a DIY Tunze-style kalk chamber. I'm lucky in that my evaporation rate is quite high (open-top tank) and so is Ca/KH demand, so the kalk has so far been able to keep up with Ca needs.

That's the system I used to use (though with the expensive branded kalk chamber from Tunze, rather than a DIY version). Are you having any problems with the kalk back-siphoning into the pump/reservoir? I think that caused my pump to fail.
You need to use a regular airline check-valve in between the pump and the kalk chamber. But they still fail every now and then. I now have two together and they've been running fine for about three months now.

The Escaped Ape":3mxz9tbk said:
Also, what sort of tank do you have? I'm hesitating at the moment between the SPS, mixed and LPS/softie dominated tank options. For the latter, the Tunze osmolator based system would be fine I think, but I'm not sure it would cope with an SPS/clam system. For that, I might have to eventually invest in a Litermeter 3...
I have many small Acropora pieces, other assorted SPS and then a small selection of larger LPS, like Platygyra, Favia and Montastrea. At some point in the future my calcium needs may outrun my evaporation rate, and I'll probably get a Ca rector at that point.

I'm curious: Why do so many people (in this thread) seem to prefer the Litermeters over the calcium reactors?

A

Anonymous

I can't speak for them, but the prospect of running a calcium reactor fills me with dread. When I had the Schuran Pico when I was last in Tokyo it was a nightmare trying to get the CO2 bubble rate stable and there was a consequent impact on the acidity of the tank. My tank had been running and growing well up until I fitted the reactor and then things started to go downhill. Not helped by the fact that the regulator I ordered from the US didn't fit the CO2 canisters available locally. I got an adaptor eventually, but that all added to my feeling that calcium reactors were expensive and stressful pieces of equipment.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back to two part becuase I feel it give me a better ca/alk stability, when dosed with my litermeter. I was using a Shruran Jetstream 1 and loved it but it seemed my alk was always either drifting up or down over several weeks and I wanted more stability. Since I was already using the LM3 for topoff I just needed to add 2 remote pumps, so for me it worked well.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: