• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

bscpaint

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I just recently started vodka dosing last month to drop my nitrates and phosphates, i could not keep them under control with the amount of frozen food i feed the fish and corals. Even with gfo or redsea na/po. The vodka has worked great and is really keeping everything in check.

Now for the question. In the past week i have had on 2 occasions the water suddenly drop an inch (about 3gallons) in less then 3 days. I have never had water evaporate this fast even over 3 weeks! Even in the summer when i keep the tank 2? warmer. I have a red sea max 66 gallon tank with a full hood. I have checked everywhere for leaks and there are none in sight.

Has anyone else had this effect with using vodka? Or is there somthing else I should check?
I'm taking out about a cup a week from the skimmer 2x the normal but not 6 gallons worth.

(Definatly not a leak the apex shows a steady salt increase and goes back to the normal level when i top off with RO)

Last edited:

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
it's funny you mentioned this. I started dosing about 2 weeks ago and I have also noticed a large increase in my auto-topoff chime blaring. I used to fill my 5 gallon jug every 2+ weeks, now its over half empty in less than a week! I didn't think ANYTHING about it and after reading this, the research I've done never mentioned this as a side effect. It's working like a charm though, so I'd call this a negligible side effect with some regular salt addition into the sump.
I'd like to hear others experiences

bscpaint

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I never even used an ATO on this tank because of how little actually evaportated. Now i think im going to have to hook it up if this is a direct cause of the water loss. Im doing 2ml per day, i wonder if i didnt notice before because i was only doing 1ml?

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I also have a 65 gal. I started with only .3ml...up to 1ml now...still noticing the evap. I can't see that its enough to cause evaporation though...the chemical change in the water is so small...but here I am talking like a chem major...no clue haha

Can't wait for some of the brainiacs to respond

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If your losing just about a little under a gal a day that's about normal. Have you check the water level to see if it's the same level in sump. Can be a sign of ATO pump going. It can be adding more than normal. My lifter pumper did that after 3 years. I replace the pump and ATO was normal again. I never read about people losing water by Vodka dosing. Just the bacteria make the skimmer work more. Check your water levels in sump.

bscpaint

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I dont have a sump its built into the back of the tank, i do agree 1 gal a day is about normal for open top systems but i have a full enclosed hood.
Also why am i only loosing water now? When i have never lost this much water before

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Vodka dosing for over two years
Vinegar as well for a while but was not much fun to drink, switched back to vodka

Never heard of such a reaction, accelerated evaporation

I would check more obvious causes

Excessive skimmer output
Cooling fan suddenly aimed directly at water
Slow leaks
Out of place float switches
Etc

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: