I was looking around for a possible safety switch I could use to put on the floor around my fish tank in case of emergency. I found this:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-...d=10050&zmam=55691497&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=2800

I have an I/O breakout box for my Apex so I was thinking of having it hooked up to that and once triggered to have it shut off my main pump. Anyone think this would actually work and would it be better to get maybe two or three since my whole system is spread out through a large area. Better yet, would it be worth it to try? Appreciate your opinion, thanks Fortunato

Last edited:

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
there are a few reasons (some non-aquarium) that water could be on your floor (leak from RO unit, leak from something upstairs, etc)...do you want all of them to shut down your pumps?
I have high level and low level float switches in my sump that can shut down the pump, but my floor water detectors are audible alarms, only.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'd imagine as long as the controller recognizes the signal it would work. Maybe buy 1 and test it out before buying and installing a bunch. Albano also makes some good points, you'll want to select the sensor sites for a good reason otherwise you can end up creating a major problem over a little spill.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: