Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I have a generac generator ready to go if needed ..i have a port outside my house that I can backfeed to my main box .just have to make sure the breaker is turned off incase the power comes back on ...its not really the right way to do it .ur supposed to have an automatic transfer switch ...if I had to do it again I would have bought a whole house natural gas automatic generator..maybe oneday

Wesley

Clownfish Pimp
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Hey Guys,

I've put a lot of work into my reef. I would hate for it to crach because of a loss of power. Does anyone know where I could get a back up power supply? What's the price range on such a piece of equipment?

At minimum, you can have the powerhead on long running UPS. I used to have my old powerhead connected to a APS UPS XL that could run for a few days.

With Vortech, it also have power backup on battery. You can easily modify the battery connection to connect to much much bigger battery that can run for a week as well. I think this is the lowest cost solution.

I do have a generator for my house, the fish tank requirement is not the biggest concern when I can have the powerhead running non-stop. The only thing that left is the temperature control, since winter is coming.

Anyway, I had a Coleman portable generator and used it a few times just to run the pump. Cheap, light, small, portable. It worked well. I used it to power heaters and pumps once.

I now have a quite big size generator that can power always all essential stuff in the house. So, there aren't really much of a range. You can get as small and cheap as you can afford, or go as big as you like.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Also for gasoline generators, you need to be a little handy in terms of routine maintenance to keep them in good shape. You can consider propane generators which do not have all the headaches of carburetor engines or you can setup a power invertor with a large marine battery. I had one setup but it did cost over $500. This setup did last for a 9 hour outage for 2 return pumps at about 160 watts consumption.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: