jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I figured the title might catch some attention lol. The first saltwater fish I ever purchased was a false perc. clownfish that I purchased 6 months ago. Eventually, I purchased another clown after and they formed a pair. I recently purchased a pair of black misbar false percs. I didn't think it would be a problem as I heard that the regular false percs. and black false percs. can cohabitate. However, I also didn't take into account the dominance issues among two females. They have not been fighting often, as a matter of fact they are swimming next to each other right now. Usually, one pair stays on one side of the tank and the other pair stays on the other side of the tank. However, the two females occasionally fight. I notice their fins are slightly nipped. When they do fight the fights only last for about 5 seconds. The majority of the time they do not fight though. They are ina 55 gallon tank with a potters angel, midas blenny, blue/green chromi, tricolor anthias (which I intend to trade) and a bicolor blenny. I have 70 pounds of rockwork in the tank, although they don't go in it much. I also have a wavebox to constantly change the flow. Perhaps, I could add anemonies to occupy their time. There is a flowerr pot in the tank for one of the pairs. They like it. What do I do?

Last edited:

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
give a little more time they might start getting along when i added my black and whites saddle back pair my tomato didnt like them at all after a few days they dont bother each its been 3 months no issues and my tanks is 65 so it is possible to pair clowns with out a huge tank

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Anemones will most likely make the problem worse. I know that you won't want to hear this, but a 55g is too small for 2 pairs of clowns. The aggression will most likely continue to get worse over time.

I dunno, if he put a BTA on opposite sides of the tank that might solve it, since clowns generally stick pretty near their anemone. Of course, you've got the problem of trying to keep anemones in the place you want them and the fact that it might not work anyway.

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I love anemones but in this case, I agree with beer, it would only make it worse. My first fish was also a couple of Ocelaris and while they are supposed to be peaceful I've found out that when paired and they establish their territory those guys are mean. They even attack my hand when I go close to the anemone and I've had to take fish back to the LFS within hours because the clowns wont let the new fish alone.

You can try changing your rock work to unsettle the clowns or/and give them a couple of days more and if its still the same take them out.

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
None of the clowns attack my hand. Actually, I found out that the only one who attacks my hand is the one that I least expected, my small bicolor blenny. He would nip at my hands and retreat into the rockwork lol.

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I dunno, if he put a BTA on opposite sides of the tank that might solve it

That is if the BTA decides to stay on the sides of the tank you wish, which it most likely will not. It does not make much sense to wait and see if they almost kill each other, who wants to buy a fish that is all beat up and possibly sick from stress. Take Beer's advice and lose the new clowns.

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yes, they did not fight today : ) They had one stare off. I even had my family watch, we are very good to our animals, including fish. I would never let them get to the pint of nearly killing each other. No nipped fins today. Actually, they are all swimming together in the same corner, the lights just went out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: