KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Cool Tobin, good luck with your newest project :)

I can't believe you didn't know you needed to run that skimmer off a pressure rated pump, how'd that get by someone like you?? lol

I will be reading the link that Matt posted (thanks Matt!) to the mods on RC. Who knows, maybe I'll mod my 2nd MRC skimmer that currently isn't hooked up to a tank (took it off my 120 and put in an ASM G3, which doesn't perform near as well as the MRC, did even with a Sedra 5000 on it)

I am running a Dual Beckett on my 33 cube (yup, overkill :)). It's powered by an Iwaki MD55RLT (sweet pump, fairly quiet). The only downside is the phenomenal flow thru the sump (20g Long) tends to evaporate about 3 gallons a day.

I love these skimmers!

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
All Reeflo Pumps are considered to be the most quiet in the industry. As far as which pump, it depends on what you output requirements are.

The other thing I noticed, is the way you have the becketts plumbed together like that, it does not allow you to balance the pressure between the two injectors. I would recommend putting them both on a manifold with a ball valve before each beckett so that you can balance the water flow between the two.

Your right Leo I looked at this picture andnoticed the same flaw... Too bad I had to see this picture,,lol..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Kathy, I love this skimmer also, but I had no reason to upgrade until I added 120 more gallons to my system.... Theoritically, until this upgrade.. My denitrifier kept all pars where they needed to be.. Just thinking ahead..

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
hey Tobin, I thought you already had the U-tube mod in place ,which is why I did not mention it yesterday. By the way that first pic you posted I believe belongs to an NJRC member named steve68, he has the MR2 with some mods on about the same amount of gallons as your running. maybe you can look him up on NJRC or RC on the MRC club thread.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
All Reeflo Pumps are considered to be the most quiet in the industry. As far as which pump, it depends on what you output requirements are.

The other thing I noticed, is the way you have the becketts plumbed together like that, it does not allow you to balance the pressure between the two injectors. I would recommend putting them both on a manifold with a ball valve before each beckett so that you can balance the water flow between the two.

You know, the way I have it plumbed does have a even flow to both becketts.. As I looked into the skimmer body to see where I needed to place the u mod plumbing I noticed this..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
hey Tobin, I thought you already had the U-tube mod in place ,which is why I did not mention it yesterday. By the way that first pic you posted I believe belongs to an NJRC member named steve68, he has the MR2 with some mods on about the same amount of gallons as your running. maybe you can look him up on NJRC or RC on the MRC club thread.

Will do Alex..

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
the U-tube mod is placed inside the box over the in flow coming from the becket. However, since you have two beckets running that may be a bit tight to pull off, unless you modify the modification. the purpose of the U-tube mod is to bring more bubbles from the becket up into the skimmer tube as opposed to out the gate valve and into your sump. Maybe a tee connecting both beckets to an elbow that goes up. but that might be a tight fit. Just a thought.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Just did the U tube mod I was able to get 2 u tubes/4 elbows in with no problem.. Took the chance to clean all the becketts and whole skimmer also.. Seems to be running the same not really skimming yet.. Bubbles look bigger though, I don't like that.. Gave MRC a email to price out the extension.. Wastol;d it is very pricey by someone else though..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Update on my mod...... Done.. Skimming great..
Before and 2 afters..

Attachments

• myskimmer.jpg
    myskimmer.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 36
  • myskimmer2.JPG
    myskimmer2.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 40
  • my skimmer2.jpg
    my skimmer2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

flipit13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
very cool i just saw this thread another way to get more bubble would be put a T at the end of each beckett thats what i did on my diy and now get great foam. alot easier to adjust now just my 2 cents.... but looks like you already have a fix lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: