tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The elos rimless is gorgeous. GC's tanks are really nice now too. I ordered one for a friend and i was really impressed with their new rimless tanks and their quality now. There are alot of tank makers out there it all depends on price and availability/timeframe.

The sloppy silicone work from GC is just as if they applied too much in areas without evening it out and didn;t follow through with their finger in the corners evenly or neatly. The sloppy silicone work they do does not compromise the structural stability of the tank, they keep within 1/8 on their seam thickness and run 1/8+ worth of silicone in the corners. Their recent silicone work has been alot better than tanks ive seen from 5+ years though.

Rimless tanks made with correct glass thicknesses are not as unstable as Kimoyo says. Its only when your going over 150g that the rimless tanks start to come close to the silicone threshholds. The plastic rimming around the tank is mainly for a ledge for lighting and such to be applied to the top of the tank while adding some support in the middle of the glass in these tanks. Yes that means it takes some stress off the seams of the tank but its not as much as people think. Its the center braces that do add structural stability and relieve stress off the tank. The plastic bracket isn't really that structural once you get it in your hands and start playing with it. Correct glass thickness gives support and evens out stress at the silicone seams. Most AGA tanks built are underengineered as far as glass thickness goes to keep costs down as well as weight which is why every tank 45g+ has a center brace.

Most rimless acrylic tanks are eurobraced which acts to prevent bowing and stress on the larger panels. Ive yet to see a rimless acrylic tank over 40g without a eurobrace that wasn't overcompensated with acrylic thickness =0)

Kimoyo is right though, most of the acrylic tanks around are very nicely built, Easy to work with and drill, and are featherlight compared to an equal sized glass tank. Only downside is you have to be more careful with them as they scratch easier than glass. And your not getting the super cool Black seams like rimless glass tanks have :tub:

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Rimless tanks made with correct glass thicknesses are not as unstable as Kimoyo says. Its only when your going over 150g that the rimless tanks start to come close to the silicone threshholds. The plastic rimming around the tank is mainly for a ledge for lighting and such to be applied to the top of the tank while adding some support in the middle of the glass in these tanks. Yes that means it takes some stress off the seams of the tank but its not as much as people think. Its the center braces that do add structural stability and relieve stress off the tank. The plastic bracket isn't really that structural once you get it in your hands and start playing with it. Correct glass thickness gives support and evens out stress at the silicone seams. Most AGA tanks built are underengineered as far as glass thickness goes to keep costs down as well as weight which is why every tank 45g+ has a center brace.

Most rimless acrylic tanks are eurobraced which acts to prevent bowing and stress on the larger panels. Ive yet to see a rimless acrylic tank over 40g without a eurobrace that wasn't overcompensated with acrylic thickness =0)

Kimoyo is right though, most of the acrylic tanks around are very nicely built, Easy to work with and drill, and are featherlight compared to an equal sized glass tank. Only downside is you have to be more careful with them as they scratch easier than glass. And your not getting the super cool Black seams like rimless glass tanks have :tub:

Hey Tosiek,

What is the correct glass thickness? Because glass doesn't bow how do you know how close you are to the breaking point? I haven't dealt with glass so I can only give acrylic examples and I'm not differentiating between centerbracing and eurobracing because most of the time both are needed, I'm talking about truly rimless tanks. Take a 1/2" thick rimless 30"*24"*14" acrylic tank fill it and it will bow ridiculously, then take the same tank, make it 24" tall and put a eurobrace on it and you'll hardly see any bow at all (<1/8"). The bracing/centerbrace adds a huge amount of support to the panel by fixing both ends and using the pressure on opposite sides to cancel each other. Much more than most can imagine.

And I wasn't talking about seam strength before, mainly because I haven't seen any numbers (I haven't bothered to look) on how much psi aquarium silicone can handle. I know acrylic solvents handle 2500psi which ANY hobbyist tank in ANY situation shouldn't come close to. If silicone strength is much less (which from your 150G comment might be the case) then that might be an issue. I was specifically talking about glass cracking earlier and the extra stress sloppy seam jobs can put on it, not the silicone coming apart. The thinner the area (thinner the glass thickness) the seam sees the greater the pressure that water puts on the corner joint. But I don't know the effect of too much silicone vs too little silicone because I don't work with it.

BTW, I'd take a museum quality acrylic joint over a black silicone any day. Problem is most of the stuff you see isn't museum quality.

Kimoyo is right though, most of the acrylic tanks around are very nicely built

I strongly disagree.

Last edited:

boozeman

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
480 gallon rimless Elos ....

480elos.jpg

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Rimless tanks made with correct glass thicknesses are not as unstable as Kimoyo says.

Agreed

Its only when your going over 150g that the rimless tanks start to come close to the silicone threshholds.

Disagreed.
It's the height of the water that cause most pressure, not volume, from the water. If 150G of water spread over a large enough area so that the height of water is only 1mm, I can glue the glass with heat glue. :shhh:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: