mcnuggget

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most causes for browning in SPS corals are a high amount of Nitrate/Phosphate. As the algae inside uses it for food and increases and overtakes the color of the coral.
I'm willing to bet my left nut this is the case.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I had the same problem a while ago. I was running 10k and my birdsnest was brown. I changed to 14k and in 2-3 weeks they turned pink.

Brown brown like in the pic or did it just look browner than normal? 10k lamps shouldn't turn your corals brown unless your stressing them out. They might look brown but once you put them under different K rathing lights they would automatically look more colorful. And the higher K rating will make them color up better and highlight certain hues.

The first problem is your tap water most likely. And just because he said his calk/alk, no2/3 and salinity is fine doesn't mean its automatically his lights. Test your Po4, and how are you running rowaphos? Just in the bag sitting on the bottom of your sump or is it in a reactor?

And if i were you i would run carbon in the tank (using a reactor)as well for now since you have all that most likely dirty tap water. It will help clean it up a bit as your getting it filled back up with good RO water.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yup, your main problem is your tap water, which looks like your not one of the lucky good tap water people, especially since you can't get a good Po4 reading since its too high. And its going to take you a month or two to fix the problem now so don't expect to see immediate results.

As far as the lighting, the only thing i can think of is that your running DE bulbs and the bulbs don't have a shielded piece of glass over the fixture and your burning your SPS with UV rays. But you would see other corals affected by it. LPS wouldn't open as much and start to bleach or start receding and dying.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: