Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I beg to differ on " Coraline grows under lower lighting conditions" part of your statement. The back ant 2 sides of my tank are covered with it and that only started happening when I put MH in my system.

Well I beg to differ with your statement too then, the back wall of my 90 is entirely covered in coraline and it only has a single strip light. And no it never had Metal Halide lights on it. Better light does help it grow, but is not a #1 factor.

krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
are the snails still at the top of the water? I didn't notice anyone talking about that - they will go to the top of the tank if there is not enough dissolved oxygen in the water. just something to think about.

thanks so much daisy! yea, no one said anything about it. I tried to minimize the waterfall effect in my tank... maybe thats whats causing the low oxygen? will pointing a powerhead to the water surface fix that? i do have a skimmer, and that technically "breaks the water surface".

how come my fish are not affected?

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Snails also will feed on the algea that grows at the top of the tank. My snails are always hangin at the top chowing down on what grows up there. Some times they even come out of the water entirely. As for Killerdrgn, I was doing some snorkeling in caves in the virgin islands last week and the most coraline algea growth i saw was at the enterance to the cave where the light was a little less intense. There was even coraline groing on the walls feet out of the water in these caves. It was quite the view. So in light of my rescent findings i take back the statement of better light better growth, but that was the case with my tank. As for the rest of the reef there were thousands of spiney urchins eating up the coraline on everythign else, but i didnt see them in the caves.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: