krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Last week, I transferred all my stuff from a 14g biocube to a 34g solana. its been doing great... except for a few things.

Parameters:
PH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Sg: 1.025

Differences from 14g: 150w sunpod, phosphate & carbon reactor, and tunze 9002 skimmer.

All my corals are nice and open... except for my xenia and blue cloves. for some reason they're all shrunken up. Not too sure why.

Also, when I was filling my new tank, I stupidly used some "RO" from API's tap water filter. Since then, I've been using a proper RO/DI unit for water changes (made 1 so far) and top off.

I'm also getting a lot of this brown slimey algae. its pretty stringy and sticks to things. (think spiderman's web... but brown). Also, I got some hair algae growing on the glass and some rocks. (i'm guessing because of the API "RO" water I used... but im running a phosphate reactor now.

also, for some reason my limpets, turbo, astrea snails (only have like 6 snails in total) are all at the top of the water. what's causing that? my cerith snails stay in the water tho...

any ideas?

krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Here are some pics:

IMG_0176.jpg

snails up top
IMG_0177.jpg

hair algae and you can see blue cloves POed
IMG_0181.jpg

Xenia POed
IMG_0182.jpg

Dinoflagates?
IMG_0183.jpg

I dont have a phosphate kit atm. Chief, I had a small diatom bloom as well. I think its starting to dissipate.

krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
lol, im not baller like you chief. i got the tank (only) from custom king. not sure if its starfire, but i highly doubt it. (only paid $130!)

chief, did u notice a die off coraline when you switched tanks? a LOT of my coraline died. I bought some new dry sand to supplement my live sand.

rook, i rem your solana that you sold. that was a sweet set up. I hope that wasnt ur only tank

Last edited:

henrye718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dont think anything is wrong it seems natural. Everytime I add new sand something happens and you also have some new unknown water also. Pretty sure you have some phos now and a lil sili.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Kinda hard to tell from the pics, but it does look like Dinoflagellates-- avery mild case though. I'd siphon out as much as you can, increase the flow, check your PO4 and not worry too much unless it gets worse. it often disappears on its own eventually.

The snail behavior is normal. For the Xenia, I'd add a little iodine and see if they perk up. If they continue to crap out, i'd get them out of there and run some fresh carbon before they wipe out everything else.

krak256

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
chief, i had them in stronger flow in my 14g and lower flow in the solana.

hmm pratt, that sounds like a good idea. i'll add a drop of lugols iodine tonight as see if that does anything. i definitely need to get a po4 kit.

thanks henrye. i figured there might be an issue with new sand. UGH! dinoflagellates suck

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah I bet you had a mini cycle from the move and that's why stuff is PO'ed. I'd run some carbon and do a water change. Hopefully you can get that algae under control before it starts running rampant.

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looks like it may be cyanobacteria or slime algae. My Solana has some purple cyano growing right now. Red Hermits will eat it. If that doesn't help, you can submerge the affected rock in fresh RO/DI water for about 1 minute and it should come off. The coraline die off may be due to the change of light intensity. Coraline grows under lower lighting conditions and a good 450 calcium reading. Try freeing up a compartment in the sump and put in some macroalgae with a clip on PC light on opposite hours. That should give the water quality a nice boost.

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Looks like it may be cyanobacteria or slime algae. My Solana has some purple cyano growing right now. Red Hermits will eat it. If that doesn't help, you can submerge the affected rock in fresh RO/DI water for about 1 minute and it should come off. The coraline die off may be due to the change of light intensity. Coraline grows under lower lighting conditions and a good 450 calcium reading. Try freeing up a compartment in the sump and put in some macroalgae with a clip on PC light on opposite hours. That should give the water quality a nice boost.

I beg to differ on " Coraline grows under lower lighting conditions" part of your statement. The back ant 2 sides of my tank are covered with it and that only started happening when I put MH in my system.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: