Meaty24

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My KH has ALWAYS been high... around 12. I run a calcium reactor and my calcium was a tad low, so I added some liquid calcium (no Alk mix) trying to raise my calcium, and thus reducing my KH.

I noticed that my coraline alage (which I have VERY little of despute running my tank for 1.5 years) became bleached looking... no purple, just white-ish spots. So, when I tested my water, I noticed my calcium was at least 1500 and my KH was about 15.

Is my reef and/or fish in danger? Will my calcium and KH lower naturally in the next few days? Maybe I should turn off my calcium reactor for a few days?

HELP PLEASE!!!

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Turn off the reactor! Something must be wrong. The corals will consume the Ca and Alk naturally and it should come down. I wouldn't be turning on the reactor until you have better control of the system.

What was the dkh of the effluent?

You shouldn't be dosing Ca if you have a reactor anyhow.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I would venture to guess that your Ca test kit is faulty. If your Ca was 1500 it would most probably precipitate out of suspension and look like a snow storm in your tank. Try a new Ca test kit. Then let us know the results. I presume it's still high, just how high we need to know.

swimmer

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Also, what test kit are you using for Ca? It should be precipitating out of the water and I've never seen a Ca kit that goes above 600.

I think you should do a couple of small water changes to help bring the Alk down a bit.

See post #3 above. FYI, the Salifert Ca Test kit will show results as high as you need it to. Just refill the 1cc syringe with reagent and continue the titration test. If it uses the complete syringe it will be a reading of 1200.....and so on.

swimmer

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
almost all tanks with a properly run ca reactor shouldnt have any problem of having coralline growth. having too much growth is more of a concern.
beside good stable ca/alk/ph levels being in check, theres quite a few other factors that affects coralline. unless more history info and pics of your system. it would be impossible to offer advice of any value.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: