beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
http://adventurescubany.com/ow.php

thats the link for Open Water which is the first cert needed i think

Group Classes
4 Sessions: Tuesday or Thursday nights from 6pm to 10pm
Each night is part Academics and part Pool Training.
No more than 8 students per instructor.
$225.00 per student

i guess the next discussion is: whats better PADI or NAUI? LOL

PADI and NAUI might as well be the same thing. Same with SSI. They are all accepted everywhere. TDI and IANTD are the organizations you'll certify with if you start getting into technical diving.

Like I said, you need to make sure that these instructors do the kind of diving you want to do. There is a world of difference between warm water diving in 100 foot visibility on a reef and cold water diving in 15 foot visibility on a wreck. The training is different, the equipment is different, and the attitude is different.

Also, be aware that $225 is not your total cost. You will need to buy training materials, a dive log, some equipment, and pay for your open water dives. You can plan on around $1000 for your initial certification, and no boat around here will take you out with just an open water cert.

Another thing you want to ask about is their policy on re-visits. Some people aren't comfortable after the allotted amount of pool sessions. Will they charge you more if you need to get more time in the pool to feel comfortable, will they do it for free, or will they tell you that you'll be fine and should do your open water dives.

If they tell you that you'll be fine, run away and never go back. Everyone is different and you should be 100% comfortable before going into open water.

Remember that you are on artificial life support every time you dive. If you needed to be on life support medically, would you choose the cheapest equipment and doctors?

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
i'd like to do cold water for poops and giggles. warm water while on vacation is probably the best way for me to go though,because lets face it, when will i go on vacation to enjoy the nice numb feeling of frostbite?

cold water seems fun because of the massive amounts of wrecks in the NYC area

xobklynqt143

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98%
49   1   0
personally i really dont think 3-4 sessions is enough especially since your kinda going to be on your own god for bid something happens 50ft down i want to be 1000% sure i know what im doing lol

Last edited:

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
i'd like to do cold water for poops and giggles. warm water while on vacation is probably the best way for me to go though,because lets face it, when will i go on vacation to enjoy the nice numb feeling of frostbite?

cold water seems fun because of the massive amounts of wrecks in the NYC area

I prefer diving up here than doing warm water diving, but you don't do local diving here for fun every once in awhile. You have to commit to it, or don't bother.

Most of the time, you can't rent equipment for diving locally, so you need to purchase your gear, which is expensive. I've got well over $10k in gear, and I don't own everything I'd like to. Your regs alone in the proper configuration for tech diving can cost thousands. Mine were around $2k, and my computer was around another $1k. A drysuit will cost around another $1k. This doesn't include your backplate and bladders (about $1k if you want a single tank and a dual tank bladder). It also doesn't include things like reels, lift bags, lights, and all of the other equipment that you need to dive properly in this area.

Currents are stronger up here, and vis can change in a matter of minutes. You need to train for these cases, and know how to ascend in an emergency situation. These aren't things you learn in a recreational class. If you get into penetration dives, it gets more intense.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
personally i really dont think 3-4 sessions is enough especially since your kinda going to be on your own god for bid something happens 50ft down i want to be 1000% sure i know what im doing lol

Agreed. It's not just the knowledge, it's making it second nature so that you don't panic. During more advanced training, I've had instructors shut off my air, rip the reg out of my mouth, then rip off my mask. If you're a new diver, you could easily panic in a situation like that. An experienced diver will reach for their reg, reach behind them to turn on the valve, then worry about their mask. You need to be able to do all of that without being able to see, otherwise you're in trouble. At 50ft, maybe you can make it to the surface without an injury, but if it happens at 120ft...

xobklynqt143

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98%
49   1   0
Agreed. It's not just the knowledge, it's making it second nature so that you don't panic. During more advanced training, I've had instructors shut off my air, rip the reg out of my mouth, then rip off my mask. If you're a new diver, you could easily panic in a situation like that. An experienced diver will reach for their reg, reach behind them to turn on the valve, then worry about their mask. You need to be able to do all of that without being able to see, otherwise you're in trouble. At 50ft, maybe you can make it to the surface without an injury, but if it happens at 120ft...

oh and i would for sure panic lol one of the times we did scuba some stupid chick grabbed the line and pulled the reg out of my mouth luckily in that quick class they showed us how to clear it out same with the mask.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
As far as equipment only; is it possible to spend under 1k for a package?

If you're only doing recreational warm water diving, you MIGHT be able to get most of it for around that. Realistically, you're looking at closer to $1500-$2000 if you have nothing.

Last I checked, these were some inexpensive equipment prices. This obviously doesn't include tanks, a dive computer or any accessories.

Wetsuit - $300
Gloves / Boots / Hood - $300
Mask - $80
Fins - $80
BC - $350
Regs - $400

xobklynqt143

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98%
49   1   0
i only plan on doing this while on vacation( right now anyhow)
these were the items i was going to buy(some i have already because i loved snorkeling and just in a past few years i started diving)

Mask
boyancy comp- (still iffy if i want to buy that)
regulator (will buy that)
ocotopus
guage

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
oh and i would for sure panic lol one of the times we did scuba some stupid chick grabbed the line and pulled the reg out of my mouth luckily in that quick class they showed us how to clear it out same with the mask.

I've had my reg ripped out plenty of times. I've had it kicked out of my mouth, etc... I've also been on a wreck when my dive buddy disappeared and vis dropped to about 5 feet. Almost couldn't find the anchor line, and had to run a reel from the line to see if I could find him. Turned out he had a drysuit malfunction and surfaced without signaling me.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
i only plan on doing this while on vacation( right now anyhow)
these were the items i was going to buy(some i have already because i loved snorkeling and just in a past few years i started diving)

Mask
boyancy comp- (still iffy if i want to buy that)
regulator (will buy that)
ocotopus
guage

If you think you may want to dive locally at some point, you'll want to skip the traditional BC and get yourself a backplate and bladder. It makes it much easier to keep proper trim, and gives you the ability to switch to doubles easier later on.

xobklynqt143

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98%
49   1   0
i really doubt i will, i dont know anyone who does scuba diving and my hubby is only doing this for me cuz im dragging him and he knows ill leave him on vacation to go alone lol but i know for sure he will never ever go in this water hes worse then a woman when it comes to things like that lol

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
i really doubt i will, i dont know anyone who does scuba diving and my hubby is only doing this for me cuz im dragging him and he knows ill leave him on vacation to go alone lol but i know for sure he will never ever go in this water hes worse then a woman when it comes to things like that lol

Honestly, if you're only going once in a while on vacation, I'd skip the regs. Regulators need to be serviced annually, (even if you don't use them frequently). You could end up spending more on servicing than in reg rentals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: