KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It's all relative...it is usually suggested that a skimmer be 2 x the water volume of the tank. BUT, that would be for a tank that is intelligently stocked.
If you had a tank that was stupidly overstocked (or fed extremely heavily), then no, an overrated skimmer would be better to use.

Also keep in mind, not all skimmer brands offer up the skimming capabilities that is stated on their packaging, nor are all hooked up and running with the suggested flow rates for optimum performance.

Then you have some folks that may not necessarily do water changes as frequently or as large as they should - given what is in their tank, so a larger skimmer would be a useful tool and necessary to keep the parameters in check. Or some may not also run reactors with GFO or carbon in conjunction with a skimmer...so a larger skimmer may keep their tank in good shape.

Lots of factors to consider :) Bottom line, you don't want to entirely strip the water of phosphates as some are necessary, but short of that there are some instances where a big skimmer is a good thing.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Like Kathy said, depends on how the tank is stocked.
My last setup was lightly stocked with an oversized skimmer. Always had a good foam head, but didn't push much into the cup unless I set it to skim really wet

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I agree with the above. Very well said. I'm going to add, that if your skimmer is TOO large, (often related to neck size) the skimmer won't build up a foam head large enough to actually get detritus into the collection cup. It will either skim nothing or will skim very inconsistently.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I agree with the above. Very well said. I'm going to add, that if your skimmer is TOO large, (often related to neck size) the skimmer won't build up a foam head large enough to actually get detritus into the collection cup. It will either skim nothing or will skim very inconsistently.

Thanks Eric. Thats what I was trying to say...mine wouldn't push into cup unless it was on wet side.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
You adjust it so that the poop goes over. I think this is more related to sump set up and operating height than the size of the DT. I firmly believe in overskimming because I go really heavy with fish and feeding. If it doesn't make it over to the cup it's usually on the neck.

I ran a skimmer rated for a 350 gallon on my 72 bowfront and a tunze 9002 on a 5 gallon... Lol

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
simple answer is yes you can have to large of a skimmer for your tank, it will work great for a few weeks then it doesnt consistantly pull, example i have a really heavy stocked 80g system and have had around 10 skimmers on this and most being too big for my requirements hence my vertex alpha 200 will be up f\s next, a proper sized skimmer will yield more results and better results then a oversized skimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: