Rating - 100%
103   0   0
hi guys i know im off the topic of the usual but today my car has broken down. i was going to exotic pet and my car started to over heat which was funny cuz last week i had my friend do a usual check up of my car. he not really a lic mechanic he's a hood mechanic.:shhh:. any way while i was going to exotic pet my car started to smoke and i quickly turned it off and waited then tried again but samething happen so i called a towing company and i got it towed to some mechanic they have. the guy said that my motor was running really dry and my fan is busted.! how!! i just took it to a oil shop place like 2mths ago. he said if i travel alot with the car that the oil runs fast. is that true, any way does any one know a place of mechanic that has reasonable price. the guy wanted to charge me 350$ i also had to pay the towing thing $85.wow.:irked:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Not entirely sure I understand what he is saying is broken on your car...'the fan' is a little vague. Was the radiator leaking or totally out of water?? Did he give you more info than this?
No warning lights on the dashboard lit up? Temp gauge?

As far as oil 'runs fast', yes, when a car's motor gets warm (at regular running temp), the oil gets thinner and circulates more freely, but that in and of itself won't cause a car to overheat. It's quite normal and expected.

muntai

CEO
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st:how old is your car n what model?
2nd:i am betting if i read your post right that your car overheated cause the fan that cools off your radiator didnt work.
3rd:nothing should be drying out no matter how far u go (except your gas tank)
4:when u say dry, i'm assuming is your antifreeze. if is your oil, then ur engine is leaking oil. n that is major work.
5:take it to a trust worthy mechanic or you'll be rape faster than wham bam thank u mam.

Last edited:

midtownman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i'm a mechanic i wish i could work on ur car but i work at a dealership & i live in midtown where there's no place to work at but it seems that if ur fan isn't working that i will overheat so to tell u the truth it would probaly cost more if you try to bring it to another shop if you towing cause if you let the car run long enough when it's hot you could damage ur head gaskets & you don't want that cause it's like buying a whole new engine. so while you getting the new fan tell them to look at the thermostat too cause it could be damage from the overheating too & when you get ur car back just make sure they did the work they charged you for if you have more questions just call me jada.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
< mechanic also, save ur money and just buy another car, that one will be or if not already a money pit, and with out really knowing what happened and what it needs cant further diagnos it, if you drove the car for a period without water good chance you screwed the heads or head gaskets up { city shops do the minimum to keep you coming back } and for $350 he isnt doing much. most shops labor rates are anywhere frm $65 hr to $110 or more, find out exactly what he is saying it needs, where he is getting the parts from ect. if it did over heat why it did, thermostat could have froze also there alot more to it then the basic's

salc845

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
re on car

hi guys i know im off the topic of the usual but today my car has broken down. i was going to exotic pet and my car started to over heat which was funny cuz last week i had my friend do a usual check up of my car. he not really a lic mechanic he's a hood mechanic.:shhh:. any way while i was going to exotic pet my car started to smoke and i quickly turned it off and waited then tried again but samething happen so i called a towing company and i got it towed to some mechanic they have. the guy said that my motor was running really dry and my fan is busted.! how!! i just took it to a oil shop place like 2mths ago. he said if i travel alot with the car that the oil runs fast. is that true, any way does any one know a place of mechanic that has reasonable price. the guy wanted to charge me 350$ i also had to pay the towing thing $85.wow.:irked:
check the oil if you see a white milky color or bubbles on dip stick then you blew a head gasket

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Midtown brought up a good point. The thermostat controls the cars response to high temps and if it goes other stuff, like the fan, won't work right. Best thing you can do is find a reputable mechanic to shoot you straight. On the other side, a Geo with 230k on the odometer probably isn't worth enough to warrant that kind of work. You'll probably get more if you sell it as scrap metal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: