chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hey guys and gals,

I have a situation regarding my water making process.
I have been using this bin for 3 water changes with 23-25ppm water(I forgot to change filters). I just changed them today and now my ro/di water comes out at 0ppm in a 5g container. However, after transfering to a 18g container it becomes 28-30ppm.

What should I do to de-contaminate the container? Or should I try my luck with a new 18g container?

please help!
-steven

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
What kind of container are these? plastic? what were they used for before holding RO/DI water?

Wash it with diluted acid solution and rinse it out with RO/DI water a few times, that should clean out a plastic container pretty well.

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I use Brute brand garbage cans, as they are known to be reef safe.

I find the cans build a film, which I assume is bacteria build up.

I like to rinse with vinegar (mild acid), RO, and finally bleach. I do this every 6-8 months when I change my RO's sediment filter.

Do you have a lid on the can?

chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
thanks for responding guys

I bought a sterilite 18g container w/ lid from walmart(cheap stuff) and after researching last night it is made of polypropylene(spellcheck) food-safe material and also safe for aquarium use.

Where I failed is in
1) rinsing the container after use (no debris left over)
2) drying it
3) invert it upside down on a towel and air dry
This insures that there will be zero bacterial growth.

I immediately cleaned it last night and this morning i added some 0ppm water into it and it stayed at 0ppm.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: