JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Not sure were to start but that i need help......

After losing some big fish I had in this tank I decided to go reef at my home.
I am not going to go crazy like my office tank but want to build something easy with some soft corals, zoas, etc until LED's go down in price.LOL
the wife like the little fish now that my son is born....

So the tank is ( 8' x 3' x 3') with a sump (6'x2'x2').this sump is so big that it has 8 trays for filter media and has so much bio balls under the trays.

here are my problems:
First how do I get rid of my bio balls without getting a spike in nitrite due to removing all the biological.
second is the Sand bed is not that greatest due to all the clams my puffer cracked apart with his mouth.
third is my phospate read 2.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My lighting for now is 4-48" VHO atnics and 4-48'' white VHO's
Might include 1-400w MH just for the middle Island of rocks

Skimmer is xxl precsion marine

fish
1 xxl sohal tang (16-18'')
hope he get along with small tangs

this will be a slow build due to $$ so I will post pics as they come

Attachments

• DSC01118.jpg
    DSC01118.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 733
  • DSC01112.jpg
    DSC01112.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 725
  • DSC01128.jpg
    DSC01128.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC01110.jpg
    DSC01110.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 654
  • DSC01115.jpg
    DSC01115.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC01126.jpg
    DSC01126.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC01107.jpg
    DSC01107.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC01133.jpg
    DSC01133.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC01125.jpg
    DSC01125.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 170

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Can you turn off your returns and drains and remove everything at once. then use a wet dry vac. Replace the water with ro in sump. Just thinking out loud.

tttony

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
switc over

Im in the same boat ,switching over from a 120 lion fish tank to a lps reef. Ive got alot of bioballs and a coralife super skimer and a little giant md3 sxc. I think slowly replacing cured rock for dead coral decorations and a taking a few balls out at the same time, I have a some good sand , but you can SLOWLY rake out those shells one section at a time. The phosfate should go down a little each time we vacuum the gravel and take some balls out.

mellotang

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Many times I have removed sand beds from tanks all at once and had no problem. I usually syphon out sand while doing a large water change. To do this get a big container and a wide diameter hose, like 1" inside diameter, shut off all pumps, then start syphon and go to town. Maybe dump sand in canal?!? Make sure you have enough salt water ready to go, with that tank you will prob end up changing close to 100 gallons. When i remove sand beds that are not the cleanest I have never had a problem. Tank almost always looks better! The food and sand bed are where the phosphates are coming from.

mellotang

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
as for the bio balls...

when you start to put in fully cured rock every time you put 100 lbs in remove 1/3 of bio balls. Do that, and find some denitrifying bacteria, like BW or SB, and use it generously! Don't forget carbon! Make sure your skimmer is working well, clean pump, injectors... monitor water quality and have water ready incase a water change is needed.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Jarrett,
Think about going sandless. If so, scoop/syphon out all the sand at once. You have very little bio-load and your wet/dry is what is holding most of your bacteria anyway. You can rescape with new addition of live rock, then slowly take out the bio-balls. You can always add sand later if you don't like the look.
If you find cured live rock, you can add more at a time but you run the risk of pest & nussiance algae.
I would probably order marco rocks, cure it in a bin and add 30% at a time if you were not in a hurry.

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Jarrett,
Think about going sandless. If so, scoop/syphon out all the sand at once. You have very little bio-load and your wet/dry is what is holding most of your bacteria anyway. You can rescape with new addition of live rock, then slowly take out the bio-balls. You can always add sand later if you don't like the look.
If you find cured live rock, you can add more at a time but you run the risk of pest & nussiance algae.
I would probably order marco rocks, cure it in a bin and add 30% at a time if you were not in a hurry.

I agree, the reef setup demands a controlled spotless enviroment. I've set up a couple of tanks with no sand and powerheads blowing along the bottom, creates a excellent flow and provides a SUPERclean bottom.

dj ze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i have a sohal in my reef but he was the last fish added that's the only way that you can get away of having him in that tank your gonna have to transfer him to another tank or sump if its big enough and when your ready you have to put him in last or else he will kill anything you put in .
i would keep him though he's a really nice fish and perfect for that size tank

adamt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If it were my tank and I was gonn a switch from fowlr to a reef I would do exactly that, I wouldnt play around with trying to slowly balance decreasing bioballs and increasing live rock. If seen people try and do that with horrible results.

If money is an issue I would save till I had enough to do it all at once.

Then rehome the fish or ask a friend to hold on to him for a while, upgrade the light, ditch the bioballs and ask everyone i know for as much macro as I could scrounge up, turn the sump into a fuge, vac the sand if possible to remove as much detritus as possible (if its too large a grade or there was just now way to salvage it Id bite the bullet and replace it), as much live rock as i could afford, and do a 75% water change.

I would then start vodka dosing and let the system run until the macro/liverock used up any of the excess nutrients (adding some aqua bella, or other beneficial bacteria wouldnt be a bad idea). It shouldnt take long to get the water balanced with a huge fuge, good skimmer, and lots of live rock. Once the levels were correct start adding corals/inverts, then get your fish back (that thing is awesome!).

Most of the time going slow is a good idea, but I dont think its the right move in this case. Take your time and get the money together, keep an eye out for bargains, call in some favors, and then pull the trigger.

If your sand isnt gonna work just keep an eye out for a couple tank breakdowns most people would be happy to get rid of their old sand. Heck I got 60 pounds of oolite loaded with pods that im about to throw out!

I really think if you try and adjust the tank over time you're gonna be dissapointed and end up spending more money in the long run. Gl man and feel free to hollar at me if you need any help.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: