StatenAlan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I received eggs on tuesday from one of my suppliers and figured id start a thread on here as well as www.tonmo.com (the bible for Cephelapod keeping)

They are definitely viable, i have roughly 12-15 eggs, have not counted them but there is a good amount since i only ordered 6. Most are the size of a grape and some are very small but the small ones still have a possibility of developing further.

I see movement in the eggs when i put a flashlight to them sometimes but as always with these animals, it is nerve wrecking until one actually hatches and the process begins. Until one hatches you sit and wait and wait and hope and hope. It is not uncommon to get Bandensis eggs that are either doa and you dont know it until you see a bunch of cloudy eggs one day. Your never sure if any of them will even hatch and if they do hopefully they eat and continue to do so. Its a nerve wrecking yet rewarding process.

They eat live mysids after there yolk sack is fully depleted. Some will eat the day of hatch some wont eat for a week, when that happens you get scared too! Live mysids are a must for the first 2-4 weeks, they will accept other foods but their survival rate is dismal. After 2 weeks, depending on size you can feed them small shore shrimp and after that im not sure the exact time frame but you feed them an assortment of fiddler crabs, table shrimp, and other fun, less expensive things.

Attached picture-
I have the tubing in there because i have them in an in-tank refugium wrapped in pantyhose i used for my last batch of eggs. It is in there through one of the holes to increase waterflow since it is so restricted. I have it running from the in tank fuge to my fuge below my tank for more oxygen and circulation. I would have rather bput them in a breeder net since i wouldnt be worried about air flow or a baby cuttle getting sucked through the tubing but at this point i don't want to move the eggs which could risk detaching a cuttle from its yolk sack inside their egg and killing it. This set up has worked for me twice before but this time i feel differently about it and wish i got a breeder net like i had planned, but oh well.

I will take my best guess as to what is a male and female by careful observation and keep both of those in my 30g rimless in hopes of them breeding one day and being able to spread the cuttlefish wealth among fellow enthusiasts. If i have any other hatchlings from this batch i might resort to either selling them or giving them away after i get them to about a month old because i wont have room.

Attachments

• P7030194.jpg
    P7030194.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 303
  • P7030191.jpg
    P7030191.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 303

StatenAlan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Rich, come by whenever!

I have live mysid coming from aquaculturestore.com and it will be here either tomorrow or friday, if theyre not im in trouble.. lol

Their life cycle is roughly 13 months, they become sexually mature as early as the 5 month mark if i am not mistaken and can live well beyond laying eggs unlike most cephelapods which die shortly after brooding.

As of right now i have 3 since 2 did not make it, didnt think they were alive when i saw them to begin with but couldnt rule them out. Now i can, definitely goners but i have 3 seemingly healthy cuttles and about 8 more eggs left and 5 look very promising so we will see!

Thanks for the luck everyone!

StatenAlan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I got my tracking number from my mysid supplier and my package is at my local post office! =] Btldreef was nice enough to offer me some of his mysis shrimp to compensate for my lack of, and if it came down to it i was going to long island, my cuttles shall live! Thanks! Very relieved i dont have to take the 3 hour round trip for my cuttlefish though lol. Im bad at getting pics on my computer, well just lazy, so ill have pics up soon!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: