Necsones

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i have alot of Cyano in my fuge and not sure what to do:irked:
i have some live rock and a nice portion of cheato in there
i have no cyano in my main DT, should i just leave it alone since its really just takeing up space in my fuge only?

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
i have alot of Cyano in my fuge and not sure what to do:irked:
i have some live rock and a nice portion of cheato in there
i have no cyano in my main DT, should i just leave it alone since its really just takeing up space in my fuge only?

I'm guessing you have a light over the fuge? How old is the bulb? It might need changing.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
it's pretty common to see slime algaes grow in peoples fuges. The low flow coupled with the potential for pockets of nutrients to build up makes it hard to control at times. Like most algaes, cyano is a symptom, not the problem. Clean it out next time you do a water change and clean up the fuge a little, maybe even add a tiny powerhead to help keep some of the waste in suspension. The other side of this is that you might not be doing enough maintenance on the fuge in general. Algae removal and overall cleanings will help get this under control and eventually solve the issue. If you do all of that and the slime persists there are several anibiotic treatments you can use to kill it off. just make sure you do the full dose or you may end up with a particularly resilient strain of slime.

Sumbub

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
It's very possible there's not enough flow? Prune some of the chaeto back and it should improve. I had the same problem until I pruned my macro algae back and it disappeared.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: