NanoDave2348

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I went to my lfs and when I walked in I saw this BEAUTIFUL green bubble tip anemone. I fell in love. I told myself I can’t have it because I only have a 10 gallon tank. So I continued to browse around the store. So I left with the anemone… I was so angry with myself but I was so in love. On my way home I ordered a guard for my power head and figure I’d be ok for the night. I put him on this rock and he just looked absolutely amazing and everything looked great.

Cut to today, I got home from work and he is completely chopped up and part of his foot is stuck in the power head. (As I open my power head guard package) everything in the tank is pissed off but my clowns, hermits, snails, and emerald crab are all acting normal. Just the corals in my tank are mega PISSED. I do a 50% water change and syphon out the pieces that I can see (which were only 3 small pieces) and clear the chunk of foot that is stuck in the power head.

The corals seem to be perking back up and nitrates and phosphates are at 10ppm and .25ppb respectively.

I notice that one of my acans is puking up what I believe to be a piece of the anemone. This acan has about 6 heads and they all still have their feeding tentacles out.

Does anyone know if the acan can survive eating a nem tentacle?

Also, do the affects of a pureed nem take longer to show in a tank? Keep in mind, it’s a 10 gallon with a sump so a very tiny system. I have a chemipure blue bag in the system and filter floss so I’m hoping the toxins and floating nematocysts are being cleaned out but I’m worried about the acan.

I know. I’m an idiot for buying him. And I know I should’ve listened to my gut. But, I’m a reefer and I just wanted it so bad. I’m stupid.
tank 16.jpg

Last edited:

grsfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hey. Sorry that happened. I have had this happen 2x in my tank but I have a 210. I didn’t see any problems in my tank after this happened but I have a bigger system. The only thing I did was change filter socks.
For the pictures. For whatever reason I can’t upload any regular size photos easier. You have to compress the picture in order to upload it here. There is an app for iPhone that does it

NanoDave2348

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. Sorry that happened. I have had this happen 2x in my tank but I have a 210. I didn’t see any problems in my tank after this happened but I have a bigger system. The only thing I did was change filter socks.
For the pictures. For whatever reason I can’t upload any regular size photos easier. You have to compress the picture in order to upload it here. There is an app for iPhone that does it
Yea it was a very hard lesson learned. I'm most upset that an innocent beautiful animal was killed due to my bad decision making. I had the clown/nem vision in my head for years and my wants got the better of my knowledge to be honest. Very sad.

Oh ok, I'll look into that because its really frustrating not being able to upload the pictures. Thanks for the response and the suggestions.

NanoDave2348

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the picture of the acan eating the nem piece. Thanks to @Josh for fixing the picture issue. He eventually spit it completely out and I just use a gentle syphon to suck the piece off of him. I'm at work now but when I get home I will check to see if everything is ok and see if a bacterial bloom has occured. I read somewhere that adding Prime to the system may be a good idea. Any other suggestions? Should I replace the chemi-pure bag?

Attachments

• tank 16.jpg
    tank 16.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: