thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Oh boy what have I started.

You started a thread asking how to get your dog to stop digging holes. So far you have 2 suggestions.. rocks in the hole (which may or may not help) since as that memeber stated the dog only dig elsewhere. Or trying a shock collar if you decide to.

Another thing you can try. But not sure what kind of dog you have.

When my dog was a little puppy we used to play "owner chases puppy" to get her to come inside. I ended that pretty quick.

I got some really thin rope (climbing type). I ties that around the dogs collar and let her out. The rope was about 25 feet long. I would go out to get the dog and she would think she would get away. But what she did not realize is that I was now standing on the end of the rope. The dog would run and bam hit the end of the rope. Couple times and she came when called.

Maybe try something like that if you can.

:)

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
You haven't stated what breed of dog you have. Some dogs are programed to dig.;)
Most dogs dig out of boredom!
I had one dog that no matter what you did he would continue to dig. My husband went as far as to fill the holes he dug with the dog's feces, and he still continued to dig.
I kept telling hubby the dog was getting bored when put out in the yard with nothing to do.
We needed to stop putting him out in the yard unattended for extended periods of time.
In our case the human had to stop being lazy.lol
I eventually built our dogs a run in the back yard. It was 7' wide X 20' long. The ground was concreted. It was used when they were put out to do their business when we didn't have time to supervise them. When we were out in the yard with them they were allowed to roam, and play out of the "Dog Run".

Boredom is usually the reason why some dogs exhibit destructive behaviour! Find a way to keep your dog occupied.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
You haven't stated what breed of dog you have. Some dogs are programed to dig.;)
Most dogs dig out of boredom!
I had one dog that no matter what you did he would continue to dig. My husband went as far as to fill the holes he dug with the dog's feces, and he still continued to dig.
I kept telling hubby the dog was getting bored when put out in the yard with nothing to do.
We needed to stop putting him out in the yard unattended for extended periods of time.
In our case the human had to stop being lazy.lol
I eventually built our dogs a run in the back yard. It was 7' wide X 20' long. The ground was concreted. It was used when they were put out to do their business when we didn't have time to supervise them. When we were out in the yard with them they were allowed to roam, and play out of the "Dog Run".

Boredom is usually the reason why some dogs exhibit destructive behaviour! Find a way to keep your dog occupied.

She is a rotty mix from northshore. We r out there with her but as soon as she turns the corner of the house she gets right to it. My kids are outside with her as well playing with her. Thanks for the advice Awi

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
She is a rotty mix from northshore. We r out there with her but as soon as she turns the corner of the house she gets right to it. My kids are outside with her as well playing with her. Thanks for the advice Awi

Sorry for taking so long to reply! Hadn't had a chance to log on.

Yup, it was my rotties that were the culprits. Extremely stubborn dogs. They are smart, loyal, lovable, very protective, but that stubbornness can be quite challenging. That is way we eventually built a dog run in the back corner of our backyard. That worked for us because we didn't have that much property so there were no corners for them to turn out of site.;)

Sorry to say, but you have your work cut out for you. Wish you all the best my friend...
We are now dealing with Athena who doesn't seem to be stopping the chewing. We have to be on our toes with her when she is outside. My daughter's car is gone, so now she is eating the fence...:scratchch

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Sorry for taking so long to reply! Hadn't had a chance to log on.

Yup, it was my rotties that were the culprits. Extremely stubborn dogs. They are smart, loyal, lovable, very protective, but that stubbornness can be quite challenging. That is way we eventually built a dog run in the back corner of our backyard. That worked for us because we didn't have that much property so there were no corners for them to turn out of site.;)

Sorry to say, but you have your work cut out for you. Wish you all the best my friend...
We are now dealing with Athena who doesn't seem to be stopping the chewing. We have to be on our toes with her when she is outside. My daughter's car is gone, so now she is eating the fence...:scratchch

Thanks again Awi. We will have to keep a close eye on her

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: