theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Dsb good, except. If disturbed, or if power outage, they can be bad.

To me the 4-5" Dsb is the most dangerous. It's deep enough to get big enough pockets that if disturbed can be damaging, but not deep enough so more vulnerable to being distributed.

Either keep your sand 1-3", or 5" + is my .02

nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
main reason why i want to remove my dsb its because mt tank is only 19 in all , 4.5 to5 inch of sand leaves me with about 15 inchs of water column. i do like the idea of a nitiriying enviroment. how are marine pure sphere balls in removing nitrate from the system, anyone have any thoughts or luck with it ?

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Dsb good, except. If disturbed, or if power outage, they can be bad.

To me the 4-5" Dsb is the most dangerous. It's deep enough to get big enough pockets that if disturbed can be damaging, but not deep enough so more vulnerable to being distributed.

Either keep your sand 1-3", or 5" + is my .02

Agree, I like DSB for more natural reef tank, beneficial bacterial, more stable system less PH issues etc, but I like bare bottoms for easy maintance, but they are less stable, so the trade off is pretty clear. There's also a lot of detritus eatting critters that call the sand bed home.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: