LaurieC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Watch out for the tag "rare" or "exotic" I've seen a number of fish marked as such for high prices only to see them for half the cost at another vendor. I agree with the collection factors being a contributor, but also what is rare to our market in the Northeast, very likely is not rare on the West Coast. Also true for other foreign markets vs. ours. As an avid diver, I'm really torn over some of the more rare and delicate species up for sale. Beautiful in a fish tank certainly, but some animals should perhaps be left in the wild.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
...but also what is rare to our market in the Northeast, very likely is not rare on the West Coast...
+1, there are many fish at the wholesalers in LA, that never make it to the East Coast! For example, I've been waiting for true Hawaiian Flame Angels (red, without the orange) to be available for almost 2 years...finally should be getting 3 of them next week!

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
A well known diver in Hawaii recently losted his life attempting catch one of these rare gems....
Correction he caught over a dozen of them and then went back the next day doinf deep dives. He was a good guy but got greedy and didn't allow the proper time in between dives. As for the Clairons they are not rare just permits for them are, Absolutely fish has them all the time, Whitecaps go for around 200 all the sudden there are a ton of them, Gem tangs (not JEM) are collected in deeper waters as well and as far as I know in one place. There is a place with thousands of Black tangs in shallow water but collecting there is banned.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Correction he caught over a dozen of them and then went back the next day doinf deep dives. He was a good guy but got greedy and didn't allow the proper time in between dives
better re-read what happened because this isn't how it went down

stage3-S4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Correction he caught over a dozen of them and then went back the next day doinf deep dives. He was a good guy but got greedy and didn't allow the proper time in between dives. As for the Clairons they are not rare just permits for them are, Absolutely fish has them all the time, Whitecaps go for around 200 all the sudden there are a ton of them, Gem tangs (not JEM) are collected in deeper waters as well and as far as I know in one place. There is a place with thousands of Black tangs in shallow water but collecting there is banned.

Yea that is deff not what I read about the whole situation.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: