d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I am pretty sure I know the answer to this but once power is restored to my house I dont want to cause an ammonia spike and kill everything.

The only thing with oxygen at the moment is the display tank.

the overflows were beginning to smell so I concluded the water an anything else in them had died so I drained them and are have dried.

The sump is dead as well. Mangroves and all Macro is turning white, pods no longer visible, worms I did not even know I had all seem to have taken a last breath by coming to the surface.

Already have Amquel on hand and plan on draining the sump but I dont think I can get 100% of the water out.

My question is:

Will Amquel counter any possible ammonia spike that can result from the death in the sump and overflows?

Once power comes back should I toss all the macro and mangroves or is that known to bounce back?

Corals, LPS and softs--are they known to bounce back after being witout light for extended periods of time and showing signs of deterioration or should I remove asap to prevent decay in tank water?

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
With Amquel, I would be cautious with that if you use it. I understand it can deplete oxygen at a moderate rate. Running an airstone should be considered.

Last edited:

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Not sure I would want to transfer any of this stuff into someone's tank, I think fuge is 100% dead and if corals are decaying already that would not be good for anyone, appreciate the offer.

At this point I am pretty much hoping all the fish in dt survive and then figure what I need to extract from the tank and toss.

17 years of fish tank keeping and this is the first time power outage lasted more than a couple of hours.

Hey I live on Mt prospect in Newark is you want me to hold your mangroves or any coral till u get everything back to normal Lmk ...

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I've used it like crazy before in fish only tanks but never again after I began keeping corals years ago.

did not know this, will keep it in mind, once power is back on I have soooo many hydors in that tank that all on at the same time should help with oxygen.

With Amquel, I would be cautious with that if you use it. I understand it can delete oxygen at a moderate rate. Running an airstone should be considered.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: