Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am tired of the search….what element is cost effective and will last more than a year? I run 2 x 500w or 600w on my set up. 2/3 BRS elements have died in the past 18 months so not putting another one is the sump even if BRS replaces the last one again for nothing.

Or do I give up and just keep running the two for redundancy and replace as they die because reviews are either failed and put out electrical current, stopped working, or even fire hazard on everything I look at. I guess stopped working is better than the other two options.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Finnex deluxe titanium heaters but I'd also recommend running 2 for redundancy. I have a finnex and aqueon pro heater in my tank for about 6 years with no issues

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
They all fail, some after 1 season and some can last for quite a few years. I think a lot has to do with how often they cycle on/off.
When I had a basement setup, the heaters were on a lot hence 2 to 3 heating season were the average.
Then there are the Helio with a 5 year warranty but at the cost of $300 a heater.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
They all fail, some after 1 season and some can last for quite a few years. I think a lot has to do with how often they cycle on/off.
When I had a basement setup, the heaters were on a lot hence 2 to 3 heating season were the average.
Then there are the Helio with a 5 year warranty but at the cost of $300 a heater.
Good point. My system is in the basement so the heaters are constantly cycling even in the summer. Maybe I just got lucky with mine lasting a while. Looking at my apex graph right now I'd say my heater turns on at least 30 times a day

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Most Finnex devices require a separate controller, which is great if the heater itself has one integrated. Try to get a configuration for these two where you have balanced hysterisis and the heater is not clicking on all the time, you will get more life out of the heater and there is less chance for error.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks all. The sump and fuge are in the basement so that may be adding to the failure after a short amount of time. I do run two heaters in the system for redundancy and to not have all the stress on only one.

BRS wants to replace this last one again so I may try it one more time and instead of two BRS add the finnex and see how it goes.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: