SunnyDeen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the reefing world and excited to find out all the information I can to make my reefing experience the best it can be! I have always wanted to have a saltwater tank but didn’t realize how much maintenance is required to keep it running properly. I joined this group in hopes that I can get some of my questions answered by folks that know more than I do and keep me from searching google and YouTube all day to try and find what I’m looking for lol! I have thick skin and am open to all the comments you guys can give me - good and bad. Here is a couple pictures of my newer tank- it’s a little over six months old and I want to add more rock, my kids wanted the SpongeBob stuff in there and my clowns made Spongbob’s house their home and my fire tail took over Squidworth’s house so I don’t really want to get rid of them now so I’m concerned if adding more rock will take up too much space?

Another thing I’m concerned with is what looks like a type is sponge- I took some close up photos to help. I thought that it was extra glue that seeped out the side when I put down some frags but it’s spreading… I just want to make sure it’s nothing horrible.

Are bristleworms good or should I try and get rid of them? I got a few of them that came with the live rock- along with a bunch of feather dusters lol

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for looking!! I look forward to hearing from you all!
D1BCBC75-5285-4EDD-987B-3516515621F1.jpeg
D1BCBC75-5285-4EDD-987B-3516515621F1.jpeg
C9554ED3-F33B-4962-85ED-D84DE4051D99.jpeg
981033F5-64CA-4E7F-931A-E14B1FC6A331.jpeg
6CCF0F24-DEB0-4E5B-ABAE-AB7E0B33D4CC.jpeg
870A2925-B4BE-4FE4-B519-B9B698BF5A4E.jpeg

NYCReefer7

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the reefing world and excited to find out all the information I can to make my reefing experience the best it can be! I have always wanted to have a saltwater tank but didn’t realize how much maintenance is required to keep it running properly. I joined this group in hopes that I can get some of my questions answered by folks that know more than I do and keep me from searching google and YouTube all day to try and find what I’m looking for lol! I have thick skin and am open to all the comments you guys can give me - good and bad. Here is a couple pictures of my newer tank- it’s a little over six months old and I want to add more rock, my kids wanted the SpongeBob stuff in there and my clowns made Spongbob’s house their home and my fire tail took over Squidworth’s house so I don’t really want to get rid of them now so I’m concerned if adding more rock will take up too much space?

Another thing I’m concerned with is what looks like a type is sponge- I took some close up photos to help. I thought that it was extra glue that seeped out the side when I put down some frags but it’s spreading… I just want to make sure it’s nothing horrible.

Are bristleworms good or should I try and get rid of them? I got a few of them that came with the live rock- along with a bunch of feather dusters lol

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for looking!! I look forward to hearing from you all! View attachment 314558View attachment 314558View attachment 314559View attachment 314560View attachment 314561View attachment 314562
Welcome to the hobby.

As far as rocks, I've always been told that you want a minimum of 1 lb of rock per gallon of water.

I don't know much about sponges but as for bristle worms some people like them as part of a cuc and some don't. Personally I did not like them so I removed them.

You can remove them by hand, wear gloves, or with a trap or a wrasse will eat them too.

SunnyDeen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby.

As far as rocks, I've always been told that you want a minimum of 1 lb of rock per gallon of water.

I don't know much about sponges but as for bristle worms some people like them as part of a cuc and some don't. Personally I did not like them so I removed them.

You can remove them by hand, wear gloves, or with a trap or a wrasse will eat them too.
thanks! they just creep me out more than anything lol

SunnyDeen

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Those sponges are mostly harmless, just don't let them grow onto corals or they may smother them.
Ok so they are sponges are they easy to remove? If I just use a pick or something it will work or cause them to spread?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: