tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I can only offer this advise. Never make any decision imediately after any type of problem. Take a moment step back from the whole situation and evaluate it. Then make a decision based on fact not emotion. When you do decide to rebuild I have many sps frags that will get you moving in the right direction....if you choose....:splitspin

I thank you for the offer and I just might take you up on it. But its not sudden cause this has been going on for about 2 months. Everytime I put a new frag on it either rtned or stned on me and now its starting on my 2 year old colonies which hurts.

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
hey andy,

i do understand the frustration. i remember we talked about the rtn's both of us were running into but mine did stop after losing several colonies. i never did find out the main culprit. it was just a calm before the storm....oh was it ever the tempest of a storm.

i had a devastating crash this past november. the classic story of kalk nuking the tank. i lost all but one sps ...a cyphastrea. lost most of the other corals. and only a handful of fish survived. i would say 85-90% lost of livestock. i have had the ups and downs but this took the wind out of me. i thought about giving it all up. but day by day as i was going through the motion of water changes trying to save as many survivors as i could, things got a little better each day.

i still can't bring myself to post the pics. of the carnage. even though there's an emptiness every time i think of what had happened, i would just walk over to look at the tank and appreciate what had survived. three of the first salt water purchases i made are still residing in my box of ocean....a pistol shrimp, a purple tang, and the damned indestructible button polyps that i had tried to eradicate numerous times.
hang it there....i know it's tough but once you got saltwater running through your veins, you will always long for your own personal piece of the sea. every time you see the one that's rtn'ing, look at others that are still in there and appreciate them.

gl and lmk if there's anything i can do to help.

-tom

Tom Im very sorry to hear about your tank... I know how nice it was...

Im affraid to look at the tank cause if I look at the sps that arent rtning the onces that I look at might be the next ones to go so I try not to look at the coral to much cause it does turn my stomach. I try to take the pretty white sticks out before it hits me that another one is gone....
But we will talk some more I dont want to give up....
I would be very upset if I lost my achillies tang so dosing with meds is the last thing I want to try.

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
First off I would like to thanks everyone for the kind words and the support.
I would not be able to start over and pay the money I paid out for the frags all over again that is the main reason if I got out I wouldnt come back.
Now for the big thing I dont want to get out and with the looks of all my good friends they wont let me either by offering me frags. So I am very greatful for the offers and I may take you guys up on it once the tank is better....
Now to my buddy Mike he is doing his homework for me and reading and searching the web for all the ways to make my tank better... I am very thankful for that too...
Just today he had told me that a few guys told him that the bio pellets are to blame. As I was working outside I had time to think and he might be right because I use to run a nitrate reactor and my nitrates where 0 but I wanted to go to the pellets because it suppost to take care of phosphates also, and it would be 2 less pumps to run so less on the ele bill. But since my pellets got settled in I had steady phosphates at around 0.10 on the hanna meter. But my nitrates were 0 to 5 so I just hook up my gfo's to take care of the phosphate problem. But they never went back down to 0. Then started the red slime algea and then rtn and stning..... So today I went back to my nitrate reactor and got ride of the pellets so we will see. My fingers are crossed and Im hoping we both(Mike and me) took are of the problem.

So Im not out yet!!!!!

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
dude after all the work im putting in you better not give up or i get half your setup in labor hahah lol.. i hope this works.. lets see!

and before everybody says im nuts for blaming the bio pellets, lets just say i did my homework.. and I feel strongly that bc his system was a low nutrient system, and swithcing to the bio pellets w/o using some sort of bacterial additive(zeobac) to increase his bacterial population and feed the system with a vodka/vinigar mix or zeofood to help populate the bacteria along with the bio pellets. i feel strongly that 1: he has a highly populated monoBacterial system and thats why the po4 anf nitrates never came down to zero 2: while he may have been populating the single bacteria strain he may have also been aiding in any kindo of negative bacteria that caused infections in the system.. I am no scientist and by all means do not have any way to back this up.. it is a theory and maybe someone with a biology degree can back me up or tell me im full of crap.. lol but after spending HOURS reading im really starting to believe it is possible,,

Last edited:

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Dont quit, that would be horrible and effect my life and the lives of thousands around the globe. Poor kids in Africa cant have tanks, so you have to. Do it for the poor African children!
Yea and they also need jobs diving for our coral too... LOL

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: