Reefer321

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallon here. Some have told me 2-6 weeks, others 6 months. My tank is 4 weeks old. Up until a week and a half ago my ammonia was .5 nitrites .5 and 0 nitrates. Since then my ammonia spiked to 8 ppm nitrites 5 ppm with no nitrates. I then added bio-spira and now my readings fell back to ammonia .5 ppm , Nitrites 1 ppm and now nitrates are present at 20 ppm. Am I finished cycling? Am I close to finishing? My readings have been that way for almost 2 weeks now. Where do I go from here? Thanks

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
A lot of times these bacteria products, which do work, give you false readings for a while. You should see an increase in ammonia and then nitrites, then both will go back down to zero. Your tank will finish cycling when you have no more ammonia and nitrites. At that point all you'll be left with is nitrates, which you can then do a water change to bring them down. The thing is depending upon the amount of ammonia you use to start the cycle your tank can only handle a certain load, so if you do overstock it in the beginning you may see a spike in ammonia, until the bacteria builds up to handle the load.

geldof

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
You'll want to wait until your ammonia and nitrites are no longer detectable. It might be all right to add low demand coral at this point, but fish require a fully cycled system. Each system is different. Some will cycle within a week or two, especially if material from previously set up systems are included. Dry rock and gravel can take many weeks to months.

ScionFRSguy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using maruclutered live rock, live sand and some sand and water from an exsiting systems I've always been able to skip the initial cycle process. Maturing is different and typically takes 6 - 12 months.
I agree, adding water from an existing tank helps so much along with adding live rocks with lots of flow helps expedite the maturing process.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Fritz turbo start and already cycled rock from a tank breakdown u should be good within a week or two, but if u start with Marco rock and fritz it took me 2 months even with the ammonia dosing and fell to 0 but went right back up to another cycle for me

Maxthisout

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are using for testing? What are your temperature and salinity at? If using the API tests they are only so accurate and sometimes will give false readings on ammonia when there is none present.

As per posts above, there's no exact answer. All depends on what you used to start the tank (I.e. dry rock is going to take longer than live rock). Once you get through your initial cycle you might have a mini-cycle when adding your fish. I subscribe to the camp that once you get through your initial cycle you can add some beginner corals, which will help build up biodiversity in your tank.

After cycle comes the real fun part of the ugly phase, nothing to freak out about. Just do some research and know that it is all part of the process.

The singular most important thing in this hobby is patience.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
don't forget if you get rock from someone else whatever hitchhiker problems they have become yours now.
?? Marco rock and waiting patiently is the best method!! I dip everything that goes in my tank, bottle trio from rasta pods fish munchies 3 types of pods for the tank and that’s it, fuge I dip all the plants before putting in cuz what you said is true lol their problems become yours including if it leeches out copper.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
6 months? Your tank will be dead in 6 months with no nitrates added.

4-5 weeks is generally best. You want to see the tank turn a light yellow tint, and around that time it will smell like rotten eggs.

After that the water will clear and you should see some beneficial invertebrates on the sand and glass. A week or two after seeing those guys, if they are still there, then the tank is likely cycled.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: