cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well, I finally finished plumbing the 180. Initial water test was good. After filling the overflow boxes and return section of the sump there were no leaks. I finished filling the tank with freshwater this morning, turned on the return pump and presto chango there is a slow leak in one of the return lines. It seems to be dripping where the PVC is glued to the bulkhead, no water on the threads. I think the vibration from the pump may have caused the leak; either that or I didn't glue it well enough in the first place. The bulkhead seal itself is fine. Any suggestions? (Sigh....)

Though cutting it apart and redoing the joint would be best; because of the plumbing layout and size of the sump it would be difficult. The tank would have to be drained and a lot of the plumbing would have to be redone. Would Teflon Joint compound or Goop do the trick?

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I primed and glued around the seal. IF that works I'll wrap the pipe tape around it for some added insurance. If the glue doesn't fix the leak then I'll re-plumb. This is the only leak and I'm afraid that if I start messing with the plumbing I'll cause more problems so I'm leaving it for a "last resort."

livinbetta - the tank is in the basement and the leak is very small. A bucket under the joint will prevent any damage/disasters and let me know if there's plumbing that's needed later on.

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Is it in the overflow box? If it is just the fitting in the box then fix the fitting don`t mess around. Drain the overflow box and fix it. Don`t bandaid it. Just my experience.....

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I woulnd't half a** anything when it comes to the operability and safety of your tank. #1 your livestock are at stake #2 your living quarters are at stake. Figure out what exactly is wrong and fix it the correct way.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The problem is there is a small leak under the overflow box coming from where the return pipe is connected to the bulkhead. If the re-gluing doesn't work then I'll replace the bulkhead and joint.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I ended up cutting it out and re-doing the joint. No more leaks! However....
I now have another issue. NOISE. I didn't expect it to be silent, but there is a constant low hum that is loud enough to be annoying. It actually makes my ears hurt a little. The sound appears to be coming more from the return pipes (vibration) than the actual pump itself. If I put my ear to the tank the noise is louder and I can feel the aquarium vibrating slightly. I'm using an Iwaki MD-40RT. It's sits on a mouse pad. I have clear tubing connecting the pump to the sump, but the return line is all PVC. The PVC is not touching anything. The tank is about 2 inches from the wall.

1. Would replacing a portion of the PVC (between pump and return pipe) help?

2. I'm considering lining the wall behind the tank and the stand's doors with either soundboard or Dynomat. What do you think?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
well u have to locate the sound.if its coming from the pvc that is an easy fix.what i did is jam the pipe tight up agaist my fuge and now noise is gone.before i put my fuge in i tide a thin line around the pipe and a small bracket i screwed into stand and made it snug and that took the pressure off the pipe and sound was gone.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It's definietly the return line that's vibrating and making the majority of the racket. I'm gonna start by replacing a section of pipe with tubing to connect the return pump to the return line. If that doesn't work I'll see if there's another way to secure the pipe to prevent vibrations as suggested above. Last resort will be soundproofing the stand.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: