• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hi...
So, I finally got around to removing the fuge section of my sump only to notice that there is water:

Behind the stand
on the floor of the stand
of course also underneath the stand

I used a bucket head to take all of the water out of the stand.
I transplanted the macro and took out a good amount of the DSB so it was relatively lighter to be moved.

Anyway...
It has probably been leaking for at least a week. It was only leaking from the skimmer section, that's why I did not notice the water level change.

So...I can see that the WOOD floor behind the tank is a little warped (swollen around the sides).
I can also see that the bottom back of the stand is wet.

While I was 'inside' the stand I could hear the squishing of water on the ground but cannot get to it since...there is a 120 g tank on top!

So...what do I do?

The only option that I am aware of would be to drain the tank, and take out the sandbed and rocks.

This is a 120g tank with rock, and a DSB. I would not be able to move this thing.

Since I stopped the leak...I could also just let it dry and deal with the warped boards when we try to sell the apt in like 5 years.

I already know that I will probably have to replace the floor boards near the tank.

This building is built like a tank, and I know there was less than 2g of water that leaked out that there should be no damage beyond my apt.
but I know nothing about structural integrity of a floor.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
also...I can't get the sump out of the stand.
I can't fathom how I even got it in there!!!

If I get frustrated enough...I am willing to just break it, but want to do it strategically.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
cool, I have two towels underneath it right now for any potential leaking of even a small amount of liquid and take up whatever residue from the prior spillage.

You saw the stand right?
I took the front doors off to give a little more clearance, but still no go.

Do you think I should just leave the tank alone?
I know for sure that I do not have the resources to tear the entire tank down and restart it to check the wet floorboards and then put it back up again.

This system is heavy even without water.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
pics of the stand pls from the inside showing possible reinforcement locations.

A lot of repairs to "heavy stuff on the top" are by adding temporary supports and remove the original one. For example, you can consider adding two triangular poles making sure the lower portion would not hinder the removal of the sump. Then slowly remove the center support. Remove the sump, work on the wood floor(if you cannot repair all, then at least cut/route out a half to one inch space for the wood to warp), then put back everything including the center support. To do this, you must make sure the triangular support is sufficient without the center support in the first place.

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Ok, so if i have to replace this sump, then I want a bigger sump than before, and want to be able to get it in/out easily.

So, I'm wondering if i can CUT into the side of the stand.
Take out the old sump.
Then have space for a sump L up to 48" W up to 20" H up to 21"

Here are some pics. I did not build this, and purchased it second...maybe 3rd hand.

this is the back of the stand. you can see the plywood??that essentially cases out the entire stand
IMAG0861_zpsa089821a.jpg

IMAG0857_zpsb3fe8dd2.jpg

IMAG0856_zpsa21318d5.jpg

IMAG0855_zps399775a8.jpg

IMAG0850_zps7199b9b4.jpg

IMAG0860_zps8847d01a.jpg

I think the stand is built made with plywood...not 4x4s or anything like that. I looked all around in the sump area and didnt evidence otherwise.

I think that if I cut open portals in ONE side of the stand maybe... 20" wide, 24" tall (which would still leave 6-8" of wood on either side) it could work and not ruin the integrity of the stand?

This is a total noob to building things talking. So...please advise carefully :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Without that stand having any corner bracing, there is no way I would cut a hole into one of the side panels. What is that wood in the corners..maybe 1 x 1's?

Does the stand have a plywood top that the tank sits on?
What does the front of the stand look like?
How thick is the plywood the sides/front/rear are made from?

We need a FSS (Full Stand Shot) :)

I also would not worry about the floor until it's time to take the tank down.

Until more pics are posted, I'm with the hammer solution.

Last edited:

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
Safety first , chances are you lowered that sump in , shatter it out , I have done it before , only break what you need I order to caddy corner the sump over and out and you will be fine , just have the replacement handy and ready to go and make sure that this sump is front loadable.

Ps ....... Make sure you start early and on a day that you can hit hardware stores to get any possible needs.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
like kathy said, you can't cut out a side without bracing it up first. their using the vertical strength of the plywood. simple to do, and put a removable panel in its place.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Don't worry. I wont do anything until I feel that I've received enough quality feedback.

Here are some pics:

IMG_20120423_103935.jpg

IMG_20120526_142857.jpg

This one, you can see under the tank before I added sand, that there is a sheet of plywood
IMG_20120603_084917.jpg

My phone battery is too low to use flash, but this is a pic of the front of the tank with the doors taken off:
IMAG0862_zps1415525a.jpg

i'll try to get more pics but i have to go to bed/can't wait for the battery.

Let me know if you need more specific pics.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Say, if I didn't reinforce the sides/cut a hole in it

how would i figure out the biggest dimensions of a sump I can get into the doorway??

I guess I'll have to pay for a customized sump...but def. want either the same vol or higher than I had before.

My beautiful mangroves need a home:
IMAG0848_zps32e4c533.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Hang onto the mangroves (nice!!), you'll get them back in there :)

You might consider using 2 different tanks connected by bulkheads? Way easier to get them through the front (without cutting anything) and connect them once they are in? One for your skimmer/reactors and one for your fuge/return?

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
leave the tank dont worry about floor board if there was not a complain already the there is no damage down stairs and thats a easy fix when ur ready to move do not break the tank down as far as a new sump u have few ideas to work with u have pick one of those

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Ok, i'll not worry about the floorboards.
We prob. wont be moving for another 5-7 years and by then, we'll prob replace the entire floor to help resell value!

Hmmm...I had not considered having two tanks down there.... I will have to research how that could be done, so I can visualize the work/what i have to have/get to accomplish it.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'll update.

Also, thanks for the feedback on the mangroves. They are so tall now!!
They are actually outgrowing the tank anyway. Many of them are near 2ft with roots or a bit higher!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: