franknitti

HVRK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok two days ago everything in my tank was thriving ,yesterday I noticed my toad stool never opened and my hammer was a Little retracted ,all test were good .ALL 8 DKH
CA 490
Phosphates are undetectable used two test kits
Nitrates were also undetectable
I shrugged it off and figured maby whey were just having a bad day.

Lights came on two hours ago and here is where I'm at today,hammer coral fully retracted toad stool not open at all all shrooms closed up ,.One set of zoos is closed .The rest of the corals are unaffected.

Testing like crazy to figure out whats going on .I hope I found the reason ,look at my razor scraper witch has been glued to my mag float since reef stock .I took it out and it looked like there was a Little rust but when I took it apart whamo ****** loads of rust .This is all I can think of and I just did a 40 gallon water change .

Could this be the reason my corals are pissed?

The two galaxia pics are 15 min apart its literly disinagrating befor my eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_1054 586x377.jpg
    IMG_1054 586x377.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1055 586x377.jpg
    IMG_1055 586x377.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1057 586x377.jpg
    IMG_1057 586x377.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1059 586x377.jpg
    IMG_1059 586x377.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 105

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
whats the temp? did you add copper or anything else to the tank?

What test kits are you using? Do you have any sea cucumbers or anything else that may be toxic to the tank?

franknitti

HVRK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp is 78 like it it always ,I have api reef test brand new and salfert that im useing to make sure ,I have not added any copper I know better than that ,im freaking out here more corals are starting to close.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
IMO yes...that is the problem.
A while back, I had a similar experience with sudden coral loss due to a rusted screw on the gate valve on my ER skimmer.
Although some try to compare this kind of rust to GFO, I don't find this to be true.
Besides WC's I added a Poly Pads & things started to get back on track.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
It could be the chromium or zinc in the stainless steel blade.

You should probably list out the other inhabitents in the tank. Or anything new you might have put in. Make sure you list any cucumbers or slugs you might have.

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your lfs offer a full spectrum test?And I mean full, iron,copper,etc. Just trying to find whats wrong for sure.

franknitti

HVRK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no new additions and no slugs or anything like that ,nitrite idk I dont even think I realy test for nitrite all that often .Ammonia is undetectable on api kit thats all i have .

It seems to have stoped for now ,lost my galaxia and plate coral for sure .

Im gonna try to get one of my local reefer freinds to test against my results tommorow ,4 now im makeing more water and burrowed a diatom filter from someone .

Thanks for the quick help everyone ill give an update tommorow.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
are you running carbon? if not you should always run carbon with leathers

sorry to hear about your loss hope you find out what your problem was so you can fix it

Dave

franknitti

HVRK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets try high salinity ,I just came from a fellow reefers house and my refractometer is reading 1.024 from my tank water,his is reading 1.028.

Somehow my refractometer is off and who knows how long my sg has been 1.028.

Other than that we retested for everything and anything and cannot find anything wrong.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: