Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my name is John, and i'm a Magic Reefer hehe. Some info on me:

I started aquarium keeping almost 6 years ago now, I was the manager of a popular chain pet store for a number of years, sooo I had like 30-60 (mostly FW) tanks to take care of daily/weekly, always monitor check/on, so I REALLY got into it! But I grew tired of slaving for that chain shop, so I got this sweet gig with Joe at Manhattan Aquariums! I've been working there for about a year and a half now! It's really been an eye-opening experience, if you haven't been to the shop yet GO NOW!! (Well not now, it's closed new years day) but GO SOON!!

In my six years aquarium exp I've never wanted a tank at home, I thought it would feel like taking my work home with me, but ever since I started at M.A. I wanted the craziest reef tank just for me!! And now, I finally got it together. I started piecing this sweet 90 gal reef tank together during the summer/fall '09, with help from Joe and some personal service clients I have, also with some of you great manhattan reef members I met in M.A.!!

On 12-10-09 I got my plumbing done for my reef-ready 90 Gal all glass w/ corner overflow and an awesome giant fuge (I had to pop out a panel behind the tank just to get it in) I enjoy it immensely, every day I wannawanna tinker wit it. I've got a 24" used T5 twin strip on there, lotta chato growin in the fuge w/ a little mineral mud & sand, and chemipures. It has a goodly amount of live rock, some I got from MA some from the great mems of MR!! Also a used ASM G1

It's got 4 percs (2 orange 2 black), 2 purple pseudo (introduced at the same time, I don't think they will fight), a scooter blenny and a sand goby, about 15 various snails, 2 red leg hermits, 3 emerald crabs, 2 feather dusters and a dew decorative pieces of fake rock. Only a few small polyps for now, I want to get my calcium/magnesium perfect, with a nice coralline base before I get nice corals.

I've been taking MP4 videos and plenty of pictures of my progression, I will show them off time-to-time. (When i figure how to put videos on here) I've gotta say, I've met tons of you members in person when you come in to shop, EVERYONE is cool beans. This is a great hobby, with alot of interesting characters involved. Happy New Year all! I will post time-to-time to show off here and there hehe.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, B_U~M`P hehe.

Secondly, you MR guys are great, I met a few more mems in person here at MA, I'm building a steady stream of MR friends.

And tertiary, I'm not in the Canon club (go Kigs!!) all I have for now to take crude pictures with are my Nintendo DSi (Thats the rough tiny picture in my signature), my webcam at home, and MP4 videos with my new totally awesome Ipod Nano, so here's my first video I'm posting offa youtube, it's my tank 1-1-10 morning. I have a series of about 6 videos, I will post them l8r, enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DBa8M0gLlI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heeeeey thanks guys! :groupflip:

The store is on 37st bet 10th and 11th aves, stop in the place is totally boss!!

Yeah my tank is coming along, I've lost only 1 emerald crab outta the whole bunch! My man Jonathan (Pootie) told me about the algae blenny needing extra food around, so I dumped a buncha pods in my fuge and tank there. I've been testing levels randomly with my MA issued (lol) test kits, everything is chilliando so far.

1-9-09 (Only tests in my email)
4:15am (Insomnia hehe)
PH 8.4-8.5 goody
Nitrates 15ppm good under 20
Alkalinity 3.1 milli needs to drop to 2.5 milli (every chem as buffer!)
Calcium Weekly 375 needs raise to 450
Phosphate weekly 0.5ppm needs to drop .03
Ammonia daily 0.25 needs to drop to .01
Nitrite 0.2ppm probably needs a drop, will check on that

Since this test date I've added lotsa sand to my fuge, it's got like 6 inches (perfect for anaerobic bacs) with some mineral mud on THAT, and some cheato on THAT with pods swimmin happily there. Also I raised the calcium a bit and water changed w/o buffers. I'll get another video up soon, I just have no time lately (started hitting gym) My polyps look great, and the fish are happyhappy. I think i'm put some pj cardinals in there next.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: