mheaven

Master Member...
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
The real reason for the topic was to point out when people say "its the only one out there " or "such and such was the only one to have it".

In reality that's is most likely not the case. There isn't just one of its kind in the wild. They didn't harvest only one when they were collecting.

Im the same way, if it's a coral I like I don't care how much the vendor/ member is selling it for. If I really want it I'm buying it , and I'm not going to try and make a deal because I'm too far out.

Bottom line is its my choice to drive 45min-1hr/ pay tolls, not the person selling the coral. I like also the idea of trading/giving corals. I many times gave extra corals to people who bought from me. But that was my choice, and usually it was because more then one piece broke when I was fraging.....lol

I'm not trying to point out anyone here, just wanted input from the members.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Speaking of $$$ and the hobby, you know what would be really cool... Imagine if someday we are the ones that have to give back the coral and fish we love so much, to save reefs... I do realize is corny as heck but hey it could happen. ;)

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
A big part of the problem is that so many of the people in the hobby especially on these forums take advantage of the good nature and family spirit so many of us share. They make up stories like "I'm a poor college student" or "I am looking for donations , I don't have much money". I'm sorry to be so blunt and burst bubbles but this is NOT a cheap hobby. If you can't afford it befriend someone who has a nice tank and enjoy theirs or get a membership to a local aquarium because this is not the hobby for you. If you can't afford a $20 frag then just throw in the towel now.

People figure because they can't afford the hobby they will get stuff for free and flip it at retail to make it affordable. Personally I don't think anything should be free unless you are friends w/ that person or are at least aware of their reputation so you can know what their intentions are. If someone offers something for free or real cheap and I want it I always offer a frag or several to even it up and if they are getting out of the hobby I hook them up later on when they come back. I just did this recently actually. It's just the right thing to do and I believe in good karma.

As far as all these named corals jason fox tyree tubb kedd le one of a kind super moonbeam sunshine whatever the F you want to call it means nothing to me a nice coral is a nice coral if it has a name I'll be curious as to what it is but odds are I'll forget it. I forget half the names of the stuff in my tank and they are all made up anyway some have multiple names like variable star/mohawk. No idea where mohawk comes from it doesn't even make sense but variable star sounds much better and you can kinda look at it and be like "yea that makes sense". I think if it's going to have a name it should at least make sense. It's good to help identify pieces but shouldn't make them crazy expensive.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
wow... this discussion is getting heated.

listen... in the end of all things. hobbyists are people that enjoy doing what they do and look to help others enjoy that same hobby. all others are in it for the money.

I am a firm believer of what comes around goes around... so you lose a few bucks giving something away... but then later down the line you get something nice from someone else... Eventually, you know who to deal with.. who not to deal with... and the ones that you know are only looking for profit.

Hey there are a bunch of things in my tank that I can turn around and flip for a decent amount of $$$... would I do it.. absolutely not. I as a hobbyist can appreciate spending a few dollars.. make a few dollars... eh whatever. enjoy what I am doing... meeting people... and otherwise. :lol2:

If you don't like what people are selling for, you don't need to purchase from them. It's pretty easy.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Think about the free stuff and the nice deals you all got on here and make a donation and forget about certain people...

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
This same type of thread pops up from time to time and its usually either the person cant sell what they are selling or they had a WTB thread up and people responded with a price they werent willing to spend. As for getting back some money you spent on a coral your the one who willingly paid for that high priced coral and the price is usually that high because they are colonys that have matured in captivity for years and 90 percent of the time are pest free and insane colors. im not going to spend that type of money on some random MR members corals when i have no idea if its a true captive SPS or a wild colony that wont have a great chance on surviving in my tank. I for one give corals away every chance i get but if its a slow grower or a beautiful piece i will charge. Any other hobby your into there is no way to get money back. And if you are buying a coral for 200 for a 1/2 inch frag its because you wanted it and no one should get mad if it grows and you frag it and try to sell it for 40 a frag and you get no bites. WOW i wish the wahhhh thread was back LMAO

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
What was the purpose of this post in the first place? Just curious cause this thing goes from blaming somebody that owes me $$ to rich people that can afford things all the way to some people shouldn't have all corals.... What was the original point of it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: