mheaven

Master Member...
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
Is it me or have people lost track on this beautiful hobby. All I see now is who has what, how much it cost, and if it's real deal or not.

We should enjoy this hobby for the beauty of the fish/ corals. To think that a certain individual is the only person to have a certain coral is silly to me. With the vast amount of corals in the word I'm sure that no one person is the only one to have it.

If they really think they are the only one to have that particular coral, be real and say to yourself: now that thought is impossible. I'm sure more then one of any type of coral was collected, and I'm sure many more will be collected.

It seems like people are looking at this hobby as a way to "get " people for some fast cash. Enjoy the fish/ corals because if we and nature keep going in this direction it will come to an end soon. And that is the "Real Deal"

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
mheaven i feel on this thought bro that y i like the fish and some the corals i like i dont crae about the cost or how le it is and i wish more people would see this way for one i dont agree with some the crazyness that go on with these zoas

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Comming from guy who just posted a bunch of named frags you where looking for!
If you don't want it don't buy it ! Some ppl do go over board!
I don't think it's fair for ppl spend a ton of $ on frags then grow them out and give them away? You recoup a few bucks then buy new frag u been looking for especially if ur not rich!
Just my opinion

mheaven

Master Member...
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
That is true I did post what name corals I'm looking for, but it's not to make money on them. If you were to look at some of my post you will find that they are my favorite corals.

As for the coral list that I like , I had them all in the past. I also paid good money for them, in return I sold them for dirt cheap. I bought them because I like color, and at some point someone thought they had gold and gave it a fancy name.

To this day you can find many corals that have no name and look just like the fancy named coral. My goal was alway to spread the love of corals and there beauty, at a cheap price so everyone could have a piece.

But that's just me.....

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
yea mattl22 but really i see some crazyness that goes on with corals lately for example le dubs green gsp 25$ a frag like really le gsp i dont care were u got it from or how green it is its still gsp and there is no way 25 for a frag is fair or xenia ect

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Well how much do u think I should sell my real deal fruit loop zoas for? I thought 4$ a polyp is pretty good deal also don't see 10 polyp frags very often usually 1-2-3 polyps
IMO it is pretty cheAp 10 polyps of them from online vendor would be much more!

AnthonyAce

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Comming from guy who just posted a bunch of named frags you where looking for!
If you don't want it don't buy it ! Some ppl do go over board!
I don't think it's fair for ppl spend a ton of $ on frags then grow them out and give them away? You recoup a few bucks then buy new frag u been looking for especially if ur not rich!
Just my opinion

I dont know, I see the hobby as mheaven stated. Nature and helping a brother out, kinda like pay it forward.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Some people lose track? Yes, but we all enjoy our tanks and the hobby, well i do. If someone say they have this or that and it cost so much and how rare it is. It's joy to that individual. That's what put a smile on their faces. You might not feel the same way, well that's okay. What's important is your state of mind.

Last edited:

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I agree too a point and if u ever came over to get frags from me u would leave with a bunch of freebies but I collect high end sps/ zoa paly so I'm not gonna spend hundreds on frags grow them and give them away if ur talking about regular corals bop ora green birdsnest etc.. Yes I agree

mheaven

Master Member...
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
I'm not saying that anyone should or should not sell there corals cheap, I just think some people take it to the extreme.

I had many a so called " real deal" sps, and I chose to sell the for $10-$20 a frag. Why you ask? Because i always said to myself, this person who thinks they have gold will soon see that it will be sold for a fraction of what they sold it.
Those who bought from me in the past know I never took advantage of them when selling them corals. And that at the end of the day that made me feel good.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I'm not saying that anyone should or should not sell there corals cheap, I just think some people take it to the extreme.

I had many a so called " real deal" sps, and I chose to sell the for $10-$20 a frag. Why you ask? Because i always said to myself, this person who thinks they have gold will soon see that it will be sold for a fraction of what they sold it.
Those who bought from me in the past know I never took advantage of them when selling them corals. And that at the end of the day that made me feel good.
So what you do is keep doing what feel good to you and simply ignore the extremers. If someone really want that particular coral or fish they will buy it, the only thing is it won't be you.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Ur implying ppl take advantage of ppl when selling frags ?
happens all the time!

I just think some people take it to the extreme.
:scratch: Don't forget about certain 'junkyard dogs', that have all their posts in Marketplace, trying to buy anything that is cheap and then resell it for a profit?

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
And I agree some ppl get crazy especially some of the high end vendors I don't buy from them
They have a right, now here is the real argument. I bought a coral from a vender which i considered to be expensive. Travel + coral + tax= $75. Now say in a year or so i frag the coral in half and put it up for sale for $55 would that be considered unreasonable?

jf2381

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
To some people having named corals is like driving a Mercedes or BMW. They think it is a status symbol. I personally buy what I like and if I like it enough I will pay the vendor's asking price with in reason of course.

What gets my blood boiling is the people that will low ball me when I'm selling something because I'm not a vendor. Why is it ok for me to pay 100 for a polyp of utter chaos, and it is not ok if I try to recoup some of the money I dished out when it is time for me to frag the coral? Sorry but I rather that the coral grow into each and battle for space then for me to pass on the discount to someone that is just going to turn around and resell the same coral for much more money than I charged. You have seen my tanks and see the colonies that are taking over the other corals.

I have my group of friends that I give corals to and they reciprocate. Also, I have given many people freebies when they buy something from me, but I will not allow people to take advantage of me because they think they can lowball they way through every transactions.
I see these same lowballers selling stuff for a stupid amount of money, and god forbid that you ask them if they can do better on their prices.

Danny. Sorry for the rant but you started a sore topic. This hobby is driven by supply and demand and what people are wiloing to pay. The only difference is that smart vendors know how to market and how to hold on to a nice piece of coral and get their friends to hype up the price.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: