ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Considering a zebra eel. How big of a hole or crack can a medium sized specimen fit through? Would typical lighting grids (egg crate) be suitable on top of the overflows. Also how much weight on top of the egg crates so that it can't push it away? THanks.

ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Thanks Kathy, my tank is completely sealed on all sides. So I guess the only place I would need the eggcrate is on the overflows. I am still not sure how strong the eel is, and how much weight is needed on top of the egg crate. Also, do eels eat, starfish, or bubble tip anemones?

jay1335

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never had an eel eat either of those, one warning though is that the eel will knock over anything that isnt secured. So make sure your rock work is really stable.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
It will also eat any, and all fish that will fit in it's mouth, and is stupid enough to stay next to the eel long enough.
I don't think anyone really knows how strong they are, so I would put the heaviest item that the egg crate can support that is also impervious to salt water.;)
By the way, my snowflake went down in to the sump so many times I finally left it down there until it got to big to fit through the slots of the overflow box. Once it got to a medium size it was fine in the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: