KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Wow sorry to hear Kathy. But is that a typo 2Gs a day?

On the generator usage? We are using close to 12 gallons per day. We only turn it off for about 2 hours per day..and it's a fairly good sized generator.

None of my neighbors - nor me - turn them off at night...it's rather noisy around here!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I just realized that is is exactly 2 weeks ago tonight that life took a left turn for us and I can't say much has changed since then.

I still have no power/internet/phone.

There are a few street lights on either corner of my block but the homes are still without power. In the Incorporated Village of Island Park many of the lights are now on. We don't undertand that as they were inspected AFTER my area..maybe they screamed louder than the folks on my side...speculation as to why is anyone's guess...

We were told the LIPA plant nearby is now fixed. I know a number of the local firemen who accompanied the inspectors and know that only a few of the homes here failed the inspection. We were told those homes would have their electric meters pulled (by Lipa) and then the power could come on. But nothing yet.

I can understand the caution of powering up due to the potential for fires but the City of Long Beach - who chose NOT to do inspections - powered back up and didn't burn...so what the heck ? :(

We're still hanging in there, much thinner on patience, but the tanks are still hanging on (knock wood) and for that I am thankful :)

..btw ..the swans made it through the Nor'easter and we still meet each day to have a meal together. My one guaranteed daily smile anyway. I remain in awe of them.

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm so sorry to hear. My heart really goes out to all of you that have been dealing with this. You would expect recovery to take weeks in a third world country...not here and especially not in NY. It's just insane and I'll leave it at that. :(

Glad to hear your tanks are still running and your swans are ok.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
sorry to hear about your ordeal kathy. plmk if there's anything i can do to help.
....perhaps a smaller inverter type generator? at 2000w continuous/2500w peak it should be able to run all your tanks. i had it running 8 days straight without stopping. each 4 gal. tank (actually takes about 3 gal. safely) runs for about 12-15 hrs depending on the load.... so about 5-6 gal./day. it has a variable speed engine so at low load, it's more quiet and more fuel efficient. oh one draw back, no wheels....but my daughter and niece were able to haul it around without straining. i got a bad back so the GIRLS do all the lifting around here.
lmk i'll drag it to the swap.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
One year anniversary?. so much and so little has happened in the past year?
The power finally came back on Nov 17th. The silence of no more generators running was deafening. To this day, street lights look uncommonly bright to me. There are still dirt-bags breaking into homes that nobody lives in and easily 20% of the population doesn?t live here any longer. Every week you see more empty lots where the houses have finally been razed, but very few are going back up yet. There are a few modular ones arriving and some folks have had their homes lifted (so tall!). Far too many are still waiting on insurance money and grants to come through. The buzz of saws cutting wood to put up new walls or cut down the trees that never grew this summer is a daily occurrence along with the sirens of the ambulances rushing sick people further north as the hospital in Long Beach still stands empty.
My insurance adjusters finally made it to my place in mid-December and the checks months after that. Then mail those off to your mortgage company and hope they send them back quickly and in their entirety. Appointments, estimates and more estimates..deciding on what you can do yourself and what you need to pay someone else to fix. I still have a bathroom that needs the floor ripped out and a staircase that needs to be replaced, but at least the rest of the major work is done.
It took the town until August to cut down the huge tree in front of my house and I was finally able to get my concrete guy in to rebuild the sidewalk and driveway. It?s beautiful! All of the other trees that died and most of the bushes have been replaced and I have my fingers crossed that my 2 remaining trees come back again next year (they didn?t look too good this year, but they tell us to wait and give it another season?). The flood waters brought in a lot of seeds with them and odd things grew everywhere..including weeds we?ve never had here before.
My one Koi (now named Sandy) who miraculously made it through the storm is hanging in there. After the pond was cleaned up (loaded with heating oil..) he hid next to a planter for the first month. A friend offered me 4 of his young Koi, so now Sandy has a family once again. A few weeks ago I looked into my pond to find 3 small Koi that someone (obviously) dumped in one night. I have to imagine their owner was desperate but at least they have a home now.
Our library was fully reopened last week and they somehow managed to repair our elementary school. It wasn?t until summer that the Post Office and bank and many of the other businesses reopened though there are still many empty stores.
Boating season brought mixed feelings..nice to be out on the water but the view of the destruction from the water is almost overwhelming. Roofs covered in blue tarps still dot the shore and there are enough wood boards littered along the shoreline to build a small city, never mind all of the docks that are totally destroyed or sunken out there. Somehow we managed to put the dock where I keep my boat back together again (insurance doesn?t cover them). Everyone who docks there pitched in to re-sink the pilings, refloat the fingers and we even found the missing finger in March out on one of the marshes and floated it back to the dock. Then we threw ourselves a party. It was good to be back with ?family?.
I still meet the pair of swans every day for dinner, through all of this they have never failed to bring a smile to my face. I remain in awe of their resilience.
I just got back from a ?Light the Way Home? gathering to remember those who still aren?t back in their houses yet. This whole nightmare won?t be over until there is no one left to say?I just want to go home.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: