albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Still no electric, NYSEG now says by midnight Tuesday! Have been back and forth between my home and my daughter's home, maintaining the generators, and waiting on lines for gas.
Still lost a lot of corals ( sps and LPS), couple leopard wrasses, and it seems that the initial power surges last Monday, burned out a few Eheim pumps and a couple of Koralins... But its certainly nothing in comparison to others.

Cell service is finally returning , had no signal for days, texts took hours to get, Internet would usually 'time out' before loading.

Fortunately no damage to my home, but I have not been able to find out about my Jersey shore properties by Atlantic City... my understanding is that there is massive damage there, the members that have been there, know that the homes are as close to the ocean as permitted! (funny story [?] about that)... When my brother went to the town for a building permit, a few years ago, he asked for the lot #, the woman at the town took out the maps, looked up the address and pointed to a lot, about 2 houses back from the ocean...my brother said " No, the house is first one, by the ocean", and she said "yes, NOW, it is the first, the ocean repossessed the others! ... Believe it or not, some of those people STILL pay the taxes on that property, in case it becomes 'useable' again.

At any rate, it's great to see the 'MR community' pull together, regardless of tank lighting preferences!!! I will be back to delete your posts ASAP!!!!

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Glad to hear you're okay!
On a sideline, many people report that surges shot the return pumps, this is something we should prepare in our future build.
The power surges messed with my pumps, didn't burn them out though. They stopped pumping, I unplugged it, waited 1/2hr, reset the GFI, plugged the pump in and it pumped once again. Maybe some type of internal breaker? It happened on 2 different pumps.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Alfie,
Sorry to hear about your struggles :(

Maybe its time for you to stop by my place to get back a few colonies of the coral you gave me a few years back when I did not have the ( confidence ) to get back into the hobby.
LMK - any evening or on the weekend works for me.
Jim C.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: