nycdominicanreef

one frag at a time
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Ok i have some buddies in the dominican republic with scuba licenses. they said if i send them a pic of coral that i like and want, they would be willing to go down and get it, (properly remove it) and (next day air it) or send a huge box thru an airplane. it is not illegal to take coral in DR, but do i need a certain license or anything to receive them at the airport?

All responses welcome, please give me accurate info

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
You need to research this carefully. Different rules apply depending on whether the D. R. is a member of the CITIES treaty or not. If they are, then it is likely legal with the proper documentation---how you get it i don't know. If they aren't, you'd have to check with US Fish and wildlife.

Having said that, there is a reason we don't see corals coming in from there other than ricordia, I'm not sure what it is, but clearly there is a reason as its not likely you are the 1st to think of this.

Do thorough research and proceed with caution.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I can tell you first hand Fish and Wildlife doesn't screw around with this kind of stuff. They seize shipments both in and out of the country that aren't licensed properly or at all. Just a few weeks ago they called us to see if we had space to hold a few boxes that they had seized and needed held overnight. A few weeks before that they asked us to hold a box that came back from South America because the sender from here hadn't gotten the proper licenses. They are very on top of this and as Randy said, there's probably a reason you don't really see anything coming out of there now. It's just not worth it.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
As much as I love corals and fish and all that stuff. Being that I've spent a lot of time in the ocean in the Caribbean and have done field research (yes I am talking sitting there documenting stuff under water for 8+ hours everyday), I highly advise that you do not take corals from there.

The Reefs there are already on the decline (and I mean damn fast) and the fact that there isn't heavy regulation in the region just adds to the speed of the decline. Not to mention the imbalance of the ecosystem down there due to the introduction of Foreign Species (specifically the Lionfish which wreaks havoc to the systems down there).

Do as you wish, but it's a a thought

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Ok i have some buddies in the dominican republic with scuba licenses. they said if i send them a pic of coral that i like and want, they would be willing to go down and get it, (properly remove it) and (next day air it) or send a huge box thru an airplane. it is not illegal to take coral in DR, but do i need a certain license or anything to receive them at the airport?

All responses welcome, please give me accurate info
Believe it or not if anyone here knew how to get that license they curtainly wouldn't give you that information.This is a sensitive subject that should be kept to your self or on another site.I'm surprised your thread is still opened. :iamwithst

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Believe it or not if anyone here knew how to get that license they curtainly wouldn't give you that information.This is a sensitive subject that should be kept to your self or on another site.I'm surprised your thread is still opened. :iamwithst

Very sensitive indeed... Google made me type in "Obtaining permits for marine fish import". Damn google and their secrets! :splitspin

http://www.fws.gov/permits/instructions/ObtainPermit.shtml

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
aquacultured, tank breed or from other members, thats where I get my stuff. Not big on pulling from the reefs, plus the success rate is significantly higher with aquacultured stuff. i think your making the right decision by not disturbing your homelands reef system. DR is a beautiful country, why mess with it, especially if what Ted says is true.

seahunt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all you need the country of origins export permit including CITES, which is hard to obtain unless you're a licensed exporter in the Dominican.

Now if you can do that, you need a Fish & Wildlife license I recall 100 bucks, then about $50 for each import.

Now you need a broker to clear the shipment, about $250.

Then F & W inspects each box/bag.

If all is good you now clear customs

If they find one little problem you lose, they seize the piece(s), usually they go to Coney Island Aquarium.

You get a fine.

How do I know :lol:

Two years ago my buddy and I did it, after all was said and done, lost everything, all the costs including a lawyer about $4,000 plus 700 in coral 400 in freight.

I love LFS now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: