lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Probes die and the one the ra comes with has very similar reviews to the "value" BRS version. I bought a pinpoint probe and its been great. At least RA comes with a probe the other vendors you need to purchase separately.

FlyPenFly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
This is not meant to offend apex users who invested in GREAT technology, however for someone who does not own a controller, it seems logical to wait and see what else is out there. We all know technology evolves very fast and who doesn't like new gadgets! I know i do.

Maybe xbox and controllers is not the best comparison, or maybe i have been spoiled by the Iphones coming out every year and I am expecting other great companies to do the same.

That's the exact reason you don't want the latest and greatest, apple maps, malfunctioning finger readers, antenna gate, etc. aquarium controllers are safety life support devices, not really entertainment

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
That's why Apple makes billions each year releasing slightly modified and improved versions of its devices and everyone buys because people like new features and gadgets.

IMO apex could release new hardware more frequently and use the money to make an even better and maybe cheaper controller/s for its loyal customers.

NYCEnglish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
You just said it - Apple makes billions. Neptune don't. They are not even close to the same ballpark in terms of size and funding, just like the reef business is minuscule compared to Apple's market.

Bringing up Apple is pointless - you're not comparing apples to?well?apples.

That's why Apple makes billions each year releasing slightly modified and improved versions of its devices and everyone buys because people like new features and gadgets.

IMO apex could release new hardware more frequently and use the money to make an even better and maybe cheaper controller/s for its loyal customers.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Sorry I disagree if neptune released a new controller every year since 2009 almost everyone would of bought it and that's how they could of made more money. Apple or anyone doesn't sell billions overnight they started somewhere. I get its a smaller market and maybe it's easier said than done. But if neptune doesn't do it someone else will take over those customers who seek new technology.

NYCEnglish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Why are you assuming that Neptune can afford to make a new controller every year? Do you understand how expensive and risky R&D really is? Even Apple, one the biggest companies in the world only release a true new iPhone every two years (the S models are called bridge products), same goes for iPads. These are their biggest selling products.

I think Neptune and Apple know their markets and their economics better than you or I...

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
They been leading the aquarium controller business for 17 years according to them. So I'm assuming they have money.
As u saw in Macna13 they chose to reinvest that money into software and cameras and other things but not the hardware which is surprising to me.
I can honestly say if all they did was change that old school black display box with outdated pixels display for temp, ph etc I would go out and buy it today. It doesn't mean change the entire "brains" of the controller, just make it look cool again.
Just saying

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
If you are judging a controller by the pixels then you clearly are looking at the wrong new features for a controller or you've never used a controller. I rarely use or even look at the screen on my controller. I think the key thing apex is working on that will change the game is their Apex Fusion (?) front-end. I know from what I've seen a lot is being invested in that infrastructure.

acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have an apex and it is doing the basics for me right now. I haven't tried to adjust the logic statements for it. You need to have time and patience for that thing. The manuel is as thick as a dictionary for it as well. But when you get it working it is a good controller.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I just don't want to spend so much $$ and by the time I get it working, something new and more advanced will come out. For me a purchase this big will be once in 5 years, so I just want the latest and greatest.
Again maybe I've been spoiled by phones and other gadgets improving every year, not just upgrading software.just my opinion thts all.

M

Moneymaks24

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
With all this being said I'm still leaning towards the Apex, jus wanted to see what else is out there

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Neptune are actually adding things:
- European power bars (this controller is so good that people where finding ways to run their tanks in 110V FYI...)
- Leak detection

What do you want them to change? The color of the box? actually they did that recently. But overall... the only improvements I see are: make the screen snappier, have a wireless embedded by default. But that's it really, the core is really nice.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: