Rating - 100%
90   0   0
That's it? Wow, there a lot more riffs that Page took from the blues gods.

To take LZ's mountain of work and reduce it to 4 songs that are admittedly nearly identical, its still hard to call them a cover band.

The Spirit song is a no brainer, Page asked for permission to use that intro. Also, Page wrote all the music for the Yardbirds so I don't see how that could be a cover at all.

adamrose

++ROCKFISH!++
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I hate this old argument!

Bottom line like all artists they had influence's
it's just a mere tipping of the hat to other musicians that they like -
and.... it's hard to be "completely" original in a genre of sounds that basically uses I IV V progressions and mostly the major and minor pentatonic scales (and several modes therein).

and they did do covers as well! a lot of them are stated as so on the album.... they didn't really pull the wool over anybodys eyes.

A LOT in fact i would say at least 40% of what you hear on the radio today is rehashes of old songs, whether they steal just baselines (Sean Kingston - Beatiful Girl, baseline stolen from Ben E. King stand by me) or complete song
melodies and change the lyrics (John Mayer "waiting on the world to change" - melody and chord structure lifted from The Chambers Brothers - People Get Ready)......... i could go on and on about this but i digress...

that's the nature of the beast these days, not many people are truly original artists.

Last edited:

al0ha

The Inked Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
LED is the BEST rock group in the world, music is always borrowed and shared by all musicians and artists :grouphug:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
but you know what they should at least give the other artists credit on there album.i have all the old records and i just looked at them and there is no mention of any, thanks to or melody by so and so.it seems like they just took them.i did a little research and they just settled with some record companies for the blatten rip off.i was under the assumption that all the riffs guitar solos and intros were theres.im sure going to think alot differently about led.if anyone could send a link to any other kick arse band from the 70's that has done the same things that led zepplin has done that may be interesting.COME ON stairway to heaven wasnt an original that pisses me off

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: