piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My first wrasse was a Melanarus wrasse. So about a year later a pick up blue star wrasse. He was about 1 1/2 inch and Melanarus was 4 inches or bigger. When I put blue star wrasse my Melanarus was chasing him like crazy. Boy I thought I made a big mistake. Well to make my story short. Few days they were best of friends. The blue star run like hell but never hide and stood his grounds. I believe it has a lot to do with how the fish was caught. What I learned some are drugged. Making wrasse disorient and causing him to hide for longer than normal. Was he eating or did you see him eat before you put him your tank.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Here is my standard warning regarding Leopard wrasses. All species are difficult fish to keep. This is actually an upgrade in the past few years as they used to be expert only--nearly impossible to keep fish. Do not buy one that is not actively swimming around the tank picking at things and it is best if it is already eating frozen food. When you get it home, it is important to make sure it adjusts to your schedule so it gets food -- methods for doing this are discussed above. Sandbeds are a must. If you are not an experienced wrasse keeper, I would avoid them.

Mike S

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Let it be. Digging around for it is only going to stress it out and probably keep it from settling in. It's normal for them to dissappear for several days and not uncommon to go missing for a few weeks. I've had one for about a year. I barely saw it for the first week and it really took a few months before it got into sync with my light schedule. There were periods where it would only be out for a few hours at a time. Now it's fat, happy and very active.

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Bad news...came home started digging around my sand bed...it's new and clean so I was not worried about it. Well.........after tearing apart my tank taking everything out in desperation to find him all that was left was the sand bed. He either jumped out and one of my dogs ate him, got eaten by the big bristle worms I have, or pulled a Houdini and magically disappeared. I went through my entire sand bed with my hands and nothing..?...lol I've never lost a fish this way. My melanurus did enjoy eating just about everything that was floating around from all the sand movement on a good note.:scratchch

Jhoehlein

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sorry to hear that Euro... Leopard wrasses are notoriously tricky. I wouldn't give up quite yet since small ones can be hard to find in the sand (they won't even twitch until you have them all the way out). I just got a juvenile M. meleagris that is currently keeping strict banker's hours, sand diving long before I get home - I've had success rousing her before feeding just to make sure she gets something a little more substantial than what she's picking off the rocks. You almost have to treat them like mandarins: if they aren't alert, active, and eating vigorously at the store, pass on them, and the best bet for long term husbandry is plenty of pods from live rock or a refugium.

isnyc300

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I have had a choat wrasse and blue star leopard and a potters wrasse. The choat is the only one who didn't make it and I had it for 2 months. In my experience they come out to die. Every one of them hid for 2 weeks until they came out. I think most don't survive because of jet lag believe it or not.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I put one in two weeks ago that did the same exact thing described above. I got another one today. This time I am going to really focus on him, hopefully he will make it. I knew they were finicky but not this bad. I probably wouldn't have gotten him had I read this thread. I was told they do better in groups. Does anyone have experience with that?

trinimaddness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Bad news...came home started digging around my sand bed...it's new and clean so I was not worried about it. Well.........after tearing apart my tank taking everything out in desperation to find him all that was left was the sand bed. He either jumped out and one of my dogs ate him, got eaten by the big bristle worms I have, or pulled a Houdini and magically disappeared. I went through my entire sand bed with my hands and nothing..?...lol I've never lost a fish this way. My melanurus did enjoy eating just about everything that was floating around from all the sand movement on a good note.:scratchch

Dont give up on it yet..i once was selling my melanarus wrasse to a friend, when i was trying to net him he went into his hiding spot...i took all my rocks out and dug through the sand..did not see any signs of him.. i thought it jumped..2hrs later its out swimming around like nothin happend lol..sneaky lil guy..nice to look at but it kept eating my snails

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Believe it or not the wrasse's can move within the sandbed when you try to wake them almost like a worm.

Just to be clear, there is a HUGE difference between a Melanurus, Coris and Leopard wrasses. All three are sand burrowers but Leopards are not even close to as hardy as a Melanurus or Coris wrasses. I know no one on this thread was saying they were the same but I want to be sure that anyone who reads this thread is clear on that.

Last edited:

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Thanks Dom, but I'm pretty sure I moved my whole sand bed around and he wasn't there..maybe one day when I get home he will be there to greet me looking crackhead skinny because he hasnt eaten in 5 days at this point..:smokin:

Juggernot55

Renegade Reefer
Rating - 100%
216   0   0
Good news look who showed up today after two weeks. I fed as soon as i saw him lol. Theres hope euroreefer try again. Btw we have to get together and trade some things brother.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1363997680.888275.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1363997680.888275.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 98

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: