Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Since I need to add a bit of rock to my new tank (the rocks from my nano are for the most part in my sump, but a lot of things got wiped, like the mini clams and a lot of cool looking worms), I have decided to get some live rock. Not the dry stuff, or the stuff that's called "Real Live Rock [TM]". But actual rock that comes from the sea.

Originally I had Bali-Alor, but obviously that's not available anymore.

Looking at what's available from Florida, I see:
- KP Aquatics
- Gulf Live Rock
- Live Rock n Reef
- Tampa Bay Saltwater

I've seen messages on the forum regarding some people selling some of their old stock. But I am interested in "fresh from the ocean" as I want diversity (pests I already have in the form of Aiptasia and vermetid snails... so in fact a mantis would be welcome).

Has anyone ordered recently from any of these, and has an opinion about their order? I am only interested in what they all call "premium" packages: shipped overnight in water.

Timbo

Got Reef?
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used TBS in 2020 shipped in water to airport and was happy with what I received. Couple mantis and guerrilla crabs but if you want real live rock from the ocean you should expect it and be prepared to catch them. I think they stopped shipping until April though bc of rough winter water making it a challenge to collect. Some pics they just posts on a different forum of fresh harvested rock.
1707791285620.png

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I used TBS in 2020 shipped in water to airport and was happy with what I received. Couple mantis and guerrilla crabs but if you want real live rock from the ocean you should expect it and be prepared to catch them. I think they stopped shipping until April though bc of rough winter water making it a challenge to collect. Some pics they just posts on a different forum of fresh harvested rock.
Thanks for your feedback. These do look great!

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I started my tank with Australian rock. You get a lot of volume for the weight due to the branching cluster shapes. If you cure it for a 4-6 weeks from the initial shipping die off, your tank is ready to go from day 1. Pristine Marine sells it locally.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I started my tank with Australian rock. You get a lot of volume for the weight due to the branching cluster shapes. If you cure it for a 4-6 weeks from the initial shipping die off, your tank is ready to go from day 1. Pristine Marine sells it locally.
Thank you. Do you know if their source is the same as Unique Corals? They look very similar (branching and tons of spots of coraline?) As a reference: https://uniquecorals.com/collections/live-rock

I have some of the UC one, and it is indeed beautiful. But no critters on it

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thank you. Do you know if their source is the same as Unique Corals? They look very similar (branching and tons of spots of coraline?) As a reference: https://uniquecorals.com/collections/live-rock

I have some of the UC one, and it is indeed beautiful. But no critters on it

No idea the source but looks like the same rock. No critters or pests on the Australian rock. I got 100lbs, only had some coraline and calcarious algae. This is after I cured it for a couple of months.

Attachments

• IMG_1412.jpeg
    IMG_1412.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 0
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Please make sure you dispose of caulerpa properly. You should put it in a plastic bag and leave it in the freezer overnight. Do not flush it down the toilet. Caulerpa taxifolia is an invasive species.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Please make sure you dispose of caulerpa properly. You should put it in a plastic bag and leave it in the freezer overnight. Do not flush it down the toilet. Caulerpa taxifolia is an invasive species.

Always did that with Caulerpa, and even with Chaeto or any other macro.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0

Cool article!

nimbus

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yo! it would be cool if some reefers wanted to crowd source and pool up for a decent size order from a place like TBS or something

could save some $$$ and get some real premo rock

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thanks folks! As I need about 20 pounds, I think I'll order some from KP Aquatics (based on look, very similar to my original Bali Alor if the pictures I've seen are accurate) and then either TBS or Gulf based on life that comes on it. The premium stuff in both cases since the goal is to bring back some hitchikers.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: