meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I like this pic. I got this snail, from a friend who broke down his tank three months ago. You can see exactly how much he has grown in three months, because the Coraline algae didn't keep up. He had lots to eat...

DSC02506.jpg

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Doctor heal thy self.

I have recently been having problems keeping my ALk up. No matter what dosing regime I have tried, It slowly falls. I have been beating myself up trying to figure it out. It falls from about 9.5 to 7 -7.5 over a two week period (using a salifert test kit). It could be happening faster, and just leveling out at 7.0-7.5 and I am just not testing as frequently as needed.

I originally thought that it might be due to my aggressive use of GFO, but I am not to sure anymore. Not that I have tried discontinuing GFO, but because I would expect that I would see the biggest drop when the GFO was fresh and less of an effect as the GFO was near the end of it life. While I haven't completely ruled out GFO as the culprit, I thought I should look for other problems. (didn't want to stop GFO as I was battling my algae problem)

Posting in another thread about the interconnection of Alk, Ca and Mg it occurred to me that I haven't tested my magnesium levels recently, and as admitted to above I have been pretty pitiful on keeping up with my water changes. I tested my Mg (Salifert), and found it to be at 1150, about 200ppm lower than I normally aim for. Anyone think that this is enough off balance to be causing my problems?

I wonder if this could be the culprit. I have been working on raising it yesterday and today and will see where it stands tonight. Let me tell you this, it takes a lot of supplement to bring Mg up 200 ppm on 300 gallons of total volume. (About a 1 1/3 gallons of Randy mixture)

I got more salt on the way... with the intention of keeping up on my water changes.

Other than that everything else seems to keep in line.

PH 8.2 -8.5 (meter)
Ca 450 (salifert)
Nitrate less than 5 (salifert)
Phosphate .03-.05 (hanna)
Salinity 1.024 (refractometer)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: