• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

FlyPenFly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I was checking out Affordable's Solana special but after you include stand and lighting, you're at the same price as the Red Sea Max 130D but without some of the nice 130D features...

Anyone's thoughts on one vs the other?

I plan to purchase two of whichever one I choose. I am planning to house a Mombasa Lion fish in one and a Valenti Saddle puffer in the other.

Is the Solana gallonage include the hardware in the back? It seems like the extra hardware is taking up space in the tank so it's probably not a true 34 gallon?

ClownAquatics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
45   3   0
The build quality of the RSM 130D is very good! You can upgrade it with a steve-t media basket and have a truly AIO tank. One of the best features IMHO is the power center on the side of the tank, it really makes for a clean sleek look. With the solana you see all the wires and I feel it is not up to the quality of the RSM.

Also in the future if you decide to keep corals you can with the RSM, in one of my personal tanks I kept acans and zoas without any problems.

I'd say +1 to RSM.

FlyPenFly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Yeah, I'm mixed on it.

I would really prefer a covered aquarium because I've had terrible experience with jumping fish. It seems like the Solana doesn't have a solution with cover + light where it doesn't cut down significantly on actual absorbed light without an ugly mesh top. The RSM at least doesn't have a barrier between the light and water.

On the other hand, the Solana does look nice and might have better clarity.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: